Cheap car suggestions..

Ross Mac

As some of you may or may not have noticed in the 350Z for sale thread, I have started the feelers to see if there is any interest in my Z.

These initial feelers are soon to change into putting it fully up for sale.

(So any interested parties watch this space as it will be offered on here before PH or Trader.)

Despite me doing many sums the numbers simply do not add up :headhurt: hence this request to you fountains of knowledge.

Until my work situation stabilises I need to get something smaller and cheaper to run, tax and insure. I know this doesnt exactly narrow it down but do you have any suggestions?

Top of my list at the moment is the Smart Brabus Coupe Roadster - dont laugh its a wicked little thing :blush:

Other than that I am at a bit of a loss for a cool looking little car for sub 10k.....

Any suggestions???

I looked at the elise but for 10k can only get a S1 from 98 or 99.

Plus being 6" 3 means it is a right effort to get in and out - nearly gave myself a hernia getting out of one at a showroom!!!

It would be the only car I'd have so the drawback with the elise is its naff storage space for the tesco run etc.

Before the Z I was VW nut so quite like the Lupo Gti...

how about a mini cooper S, you can pick them up for reasonable prices now and are pretty nippy too, or a little Fiesta ST or something similar? Thats what i had before the Zed. Sorry if this is not of any help...

How about a decent hot hatch? a clio 172 can be had for around 4k or something a bit more economical the 206 1.6 16v xsi (nearly as quick as the gti but no where near as thirsty) My missis has a 1.5 dci clio and gets 72mpg i know it's not sporty but very cheap to run till you get yourself back on your feet mate.

Hmm some good suggestions there....

Where would someone go about getting a batch of tiger print leather - that is one sure fire way to turn more heads than in the Z :lol:

The hot hatch is an area I have looked at but even they are surprisingly thirsty as the temptation is to hoon it all over the place

Chances are it will be a mega cheap runaround for a few months - get myself sorted out - give runaround to the girlfriend as a bribe so I can get myself another Z. Thats the plan uless I land an uber job and I'll see if I can get a GTR as a company hack :lol:

For a mega cheap runaround go for a diesel.

I currently run (almost ashamed to admit it :blush: ) a Golf MKIV GT TDi which I bought due to saving for our wedding. It has totally surprised me, loads of power (read torque) it keeps up with (dare I say is quicker than) most hot hatches and it embarasses a good few other cars that should be quicker. A regular 45mpg is handy too. In fact Evo magazine even made positive noises about it.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarr ... lf_gt.html

That said I need something now that handles how I want it to and doesnt sound like a tractor, hence the forthcoming Z.

I'm not trying to sell you my Golf BTW, but I'd defo recommend them.

£7,000 should get you a newish one. The equivalent TDi 150 SEAT (Cupra?) should be even cheaper.

Just noticed the Cupra R recommendation - the 225bhp VAG engine is great, I test drove an S3 which was mapped to 260 odd bhp and it fantastic. Couldn't afford a new enough S3 at the time so ended up with the Golf!

Good luck,

Leeroy.

If you aren't too worried about looking stylish then you could do worse than a focus tdci. frugal, cheap, good handling and cheap to fix if something goes wrong.

Do the sums though as diesel isn't always cheaper nowadays (ask my day and his £120 a fill Rangie!)

You didn't mention practicality so maybe a smart might be an idea. They are fun but not very quick! do you fit in it?

I've had a drive of a Smart Roadster and it "feels" surprisingly quick as you are so low to the ground with the turbo 700cc spinning away behind you.

The Brabus spec one I fancy has 101 bhp and can be mapped to 125bhp which will result in a nippy car as it weighs next to nothing. I fitted in ok as well which was a bonus. It looks pretty nifty with its dished rims.

I dont do may motorway miles as I spend most of my time in the car scooting in and around Newcastle where the smart comes into its own.

All other suggestions are good but I still fancy something "cool" looking with a bit of rarity value. My golf gti before the Z was a mk4 which I had modded up with big BBS wheels, remapped the engine etc and looked good.

I just dont think I could have a "normal" car for everyday use after the Z...but if it means I can save the pennies and rejoin the fold next year then I am prepared to do do