Major perfrmance loss = Stupidity

MrDohnuts

I jumped in to my Z yesterday morning with a big smile on my face, it was my third day of ownership and I'm still ecstatic every time I open the front door and see it/her there.

I set off and noticed that the performance was awful, I drove a few miles, tried the tip-tronic and still no change, it was driving like a dog.

I arrived at my destination, got out the car and checked over the engine (though I have no idea what I'm doing in there). I even checked the exhausts to ensure none of the local kids had stuffed something in there.

As I got back in the car to drive home I felt something scratch against my elbow. It was the f**king SNOW button. They seem to have placed this thing in the worse possible place. I turned it off and of course performance returned to it's normal insane mode.

Am I the only one stupid enough to have made this mistake?

I did this on my test drive... i took it out with the dealer and i was disappointed with the performance, but was being polite and saying 'yeh its good innit'. After about 5 minutes he looked down and told me we're in snow mode, so i switched it off on then had the best test drive ever. Then i bought the car!

HAHAHAHA yup i have done that a few times myself mate! Its a pain in the backside, i always clip it with my elbow, so now i just keep my hand on the gear stick to stop it happening! :D

I went from a diesel 206 to a 350z so there was a bit of a hit in petrol prices.. i drove mine in snow mode and found absolutely no difference in mpg, just felt really unresponsive. Yeah, the switches are in a bad position - im always turning the heated seats on as well and wondering why it feels like ive wet myself!:lol:

I went from a diesel 206 to a 350z so there was a bit of a hit in petrol prices.. i drove mine in snow mode and found absolutely no difference in mpg, just felt really unresponsive. Yeah, the switches are in a bad position - im always turning the heated seats on as well and wondering why it feels like ive wet myself!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I once bought a Mercedes S500 through an Auction.

I had always wanted one, and decided to treat myself.

I jumped in the car and set off and pootling through the town everything felt ok. Then I hit the open roads and gave it some berries. Nothing happened. I floored the throttle trying to make the thing go, and got nothing - this was a 5.0 litre V8 remember with supposedly 300bhp or thereabouts !

I even tried flooring it quickly to make it kick down and it just wouldn't.

Great, I thought, I've bought a lemon. It's knackered, the gearbox or the engine or both, this is going to be expensive. The car would accelerate, but only gently. I was sick to the pit of my stomach because I was convinced it was going to cost thousands to put it right.

Once on the motorway and eventually up to cruising speed I noticed the little snow flake icon on the dashboard and thought is there something wrong with the Air Con ?

Then thought why would it have an Air Con warning light ?

Then realised it wouldn't, then the penny dropped.

I looked at the gear selector and low and behold I had it in Winter mode.

The sense of relief was almost sexual :teeth:

Luckily the salesman who gave me the test drive at the importers warned me right away about the snow/power switch. I've never had a problem with it in two years. It was in power mode all day yesterday during a 200 mile trip to Inveraray and back. :thumbs:;)

By the way has anybody else noticed how many big bikes are all over the roads in the Highlands and Argyll & Bute these days? I saw literally hundreds yesterday, and very few were obeying the speed limit.

Luckily the salesman who gave me the test drive at the importers warned me right away about the snow/power switch. I've never had a problem with it in two years. It was in power mode all day yesterday during a 200 mile trip to Inveraray and back. :thumbs:;)

By the way has anybody else noticed how many big bikes are all over the roads in the Highlands and Argyll & Bute these days? I saw literally hundreds yesterday, and very few were obeying the speed limit.[/quote

Loads of bikers out and about these day jim! Adam the photographer is a biker lol! I had a wee trip up to troon with the mrs was such a nice day on sat :thumbs:

Hi,

Pretty new to this...only usually read through the posts.

Quick question - obviously I know what the snow button does but can someone please clarify what the 'power' button does ?

Thanks.

Ok, I'm not an auto owner put generally power or sport mode increases the rev limit so it holds the gear longer. This makes kickdown more effective as it'll drop an extra gear usually.

As I say not sure specifficaly on the Zed.

:welcome: You should post an intro! :D

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.. :)

An intro - I'm the shy Zed owner you know ;)

Had mine for a few years now and love the Tiptronic mode - never really bothered with the power mode before.... maybe I was just too scared :D

J

An auto owner might clarify (or rubbish) my statement.

No need to be shy. There are only a few you have to watch on here (cough... Zedrush and SL114.... cough....). Be careful as they sneak up from behind usually.... :ninja::lol:

No need to be shy. There are only a few you have to watch on here (cough... Zedrush and SL114.... cough....). Be careful as they sneak up from behind usually.... :ninja::lol:

Yeah, Zedrush caught me that way. I thought he would be bigger :D

Yeah, Zedrush caught me that way. I thought he would be bigger :D

So Zedrush has a small....... one.... :lol::lol::lol:

As long as YOU enjoyed it Dan!

You must be very restrained to have had the car a few years and not press the button! I'm the sort of person that has to press a button if it says on it DO NOT PRESS - just to see why! :lol:

Ok, I'm not an auto owner put generally power or sport mode increases the rev limit so it holds the gear longer. This makes kickdown more effective as it'll drop an extra gear usually.

Pretty much spot on, Stew.

If you want to know what it does, go under a bridge or in a tunnel or narrow street, open both windows, switch to power mode and floor it. If the noise it makes doesn't bring a smile to your face, you're dead. ;)