APS Twin Turbo Conversion

Martin W

I put a pretty naff mobile piccy in BATCH 4 - above the right hand end of the FMIC and on line with the headlights sits a BOV I'm told. Whistles a lot!

:D

MAF=??

So the nose is on, The Dyno's are done and i'lll put them up tonite.

along with a better pic of the Bay.

Bit of a shock on the way home when the Oil temp warning went off, but apparantly the Oil warning should not have benn set at 100c but at 120c

Normal operating temp being between 80 and 115 - apparently :headhurt:http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/Martin_W_350z/350z%20batch%204/

Nice Mods, those dials are sweet.

I'm considering the APS Twin turbo for my Zed but am not sure how much work is involved. Have you had the internals strengthened? What boost pressure are you running? Approx. how much did the complete install cost?

I put a pretty naff mobile piccy in BATCH 4 - above the right hand end of the FMIC and on line with the headlights sits a BOV I'm told. Whistles a lot!

:D

MAF=??

Mass Air Flow meter, the sensor that sits just after the airbox on a stock car. It's show in batch 2 under pic title 'tight fit', and seeing as you say the BOV is near the headlights then I'm guessing it must be what I'm looking at, as that's right behind it! :lol:

BOV shouldn't whistle really though, rather you should be hearing a gush of air every time you lift off after you hit boost. Still, I've known BOVs that more or less bark upon release (the VW/Porsche one to be precise), so a whistle isn't impossible, especially if it's one with variable inserts.

Anyone know what the BOV in the APS kit is?

i think we are on slightly different planets!

care 2 explain? :dry:

Sorry Martin I dont get out much you know :dry: Batch 2 foto's first frame entitled NICE, top left hand corner. Dont understand all the oily bits in the foto but it caught my eye.

By the way hope it all turns out ok and you enjoy the improved performance. :thumbs:

+1 on that report!

Also 21.9 isnt bad at all :)

I would guess that if the computer was reset at fill up it would be lower. I used to get 23 mpg out of my standards zeds.....

I guess it depends on the type of daily drive you have. I used to get 19.8 regulalry. I just worked this MPG out from the amount of fuel i put in after driving a tankful. and i lost the computer in having the defi gauges put in. :D

384bhp at the fly? Do they turn the boost up after it's run in?

The boost is set limited at about .7 bar. I believe you can go and turn it up. but the balance between engine longevity and speed/acceleration feels right for me. To over over 400, i was quoted about £4500 to have the internals done.

Hey martin... I couldn't see a report from you on how different the car was to drive?

Would love a good report on performance "feel" in 1st, 2nd .. acceleration in 5th/6th etc

Well, when i picked the car up, I hadn't driven it for about 10 days. I wasn't sure, but I thought the steering seemed a little heavier.

First thing i noticed was how easy it was to stall it when cold. I guess all that extra oil esp when cold needs a lot more pushing around.

The turbos only start kicking in at about 2300 rpm. There's absoluetely no perceptible lag, the result of 2 small turbo's rather than 1 big one.

In first you don't really notice the difference until the turbo's kick in. I havn't really yet had the chance to see just how fast 0-60 is, just might see if i can wedge a vid cam somewhere and film it for you all.

Second and higher gears are much more fun, all the power really kicks in above 3000 when the boost is up to .4 bar. So in 2 nd to 6th you can get the same sensation as at take-off in a jet as you up the gas

The stock wheels don't perform too badly, it can feel a bit twitchy if you really put you foot down. especially in the wet.

It was quite pleasurable after i picked the car up and coming back on a good stretch of dual a carriage way when i was tooling along in 6th 10 mph less than an autom ban when a beemer flashed me frrom behind. Foot down!! left him looking like he was in reverse :-) :lol::yahoo:

I don't like to think what its done to the value of the car, but I would say, if you can afford it do it!!

"inhale the horizon..." it said in 1 write up that i read - absolutely spot on description :D

thanks, martin. So nothing extra low down, but once you get going it's a rocket. I assume you've got 18 RAYS, I wonder if it feels better with fat 19s or even bigger (but 20s might look a bit much?).

I see the GTR has 20s... and I like the fat look of the Porsche GT3