Problems starting

RichieP

I noticed this ever since about 2 weeks after getting the car. When you turn the key two clicks you get a whirring noise like something is switching on in the back (tank prepping or something, I'm not mechanically minded). Once you hear that noise, car starts just fine. However, I've noticed that sometimes when I pull up somewhere, turn the engine off and then turn it on a bit later, that whirring noise doesn't sound and the engine wont start. Anyone else have this? Is it a JDM issue?

Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me - I can remember similar symptons with a fuel pump on a Golf GTi that I had a while back was on the way out.

I am sure others more in the know than me will be along soon to sort you out. :thumbs:

ahh if it just after turning of then sometimes you need to leave it for a few seconds anyway. I've found when you sometimes start and you accidentally release the key before its truly started, then if you try to start it again, it takes a bit to get going, as if it's flooded. Totally normal.

Oh bugger! Will have to get someone to look at it. As I say, most of time its alright. Just when I try and start it again after just turning it off. Doh!

It could be that it's overheating and in leaving it a while it has sufficient time to cool down. Either way if it was me I'd get it checked out as sods law says it will happen one day in the most remote of places.

mm don't think it could be overheating. For example.. I'll go and pick my girlfriend up and she's late out of work. So I'm waiting there 10 minutes with the engine off and the stereo on (ignition is on 1 click). She gets there, I just turn the key, no whirring, chug chug chug chug. Nothing. However, turn the car fully off, take the key out for about 5 seconds, put it back in and turn to 2nd click. Whirring happens and car starts completely as normal.

Was wondering if its some kind of electrical issue as the car did come fitted with an aftermarket headunit (bizarrely a Clarion double din, commonly sold as an upgrade by Subaru dealerships).

Oh well, will get it checked over by a mechanic mate. Sods law it won't replicate the problem when I go over there, I bet! :headhurt:

Might be the immobiliser kicking in? :)

+1 does sound like the fuel pump is being immobilised, the whir is the pump priming the system so it is under pressure and ready to start

have you got a spare key you can use ? incase its a problem with the transponder chip