LPG 350Z??

Ross Mac

What with the price of petrol going crazy at the moment, road tax etc etc I am really having to think about if I can keep the Z any longer....I would be gutted if she had to go mind

One option I have thought about though is an LPG conversion. The gas seems to be so much cheaper than petrol - about 55p a litre I think??

Has anyone ever converted a 350Z to the gas? Where do the tanks go? Does the interior need modified in any way?

Any help or info much appreciated.

Cheers

Ross

I read about a z being converted here in the uk... cant remember where tho. It said that it doesnt affect power either, using the lpg for the normal driving, and then automatically switching to petrol when it needs the performance... Dont know how true that is tho?

I know a couple of people with lpg conversions, and they usually put the tank in the spare wheel well, and can cost between £1800 and £2500. Which i'd probably save in a year if i converted mine!

Try this:

http://www.whatgreencar.com/lpg.php

And i quote:

"Note that, due to the fact that conventional cars are themselves becoming cleaner, the UK government has announced that it will reduce the fuel duty benefit for LPG by 1p/litre each year until 2007. On a positive note, they have agreed to pre-announce future LPG duties three years in advance on a rolling basis."

Not as cheap as it used to be?

Well I enquired about it and got this back:

Thanks for the mail,

The vehicle has shown to be problematic with engine valves and running LPG.

I would advise against conversion on this model of car

Sorry to be brief!

Best Regards

Chris Wise

Autogas 2000 Ltd

I'm guessing maybe not such a good idea on a Zed

Autogas 2000 are the experts so if they say no, it really is a bad idea.

I ran a V6 alfa for 6 yeras and it was sweet but to avoid you thinking that it is just a money saver, that MPG figure is wrong. You will get about 2/3 of the mpg per litre on LPG as on Petrol. The calorific value of lpg is lower by volume so less energy in the cylinder when bang happens.

I found it made my car as economical as a diesel when you took fuel costs and mpg into account.

On the plus side, a petrol car is cheaper to buy than a diesel (generally), a petrol car is more fun to drive than a standard diesel (generally), and the cleanliness of the lpg is an environmental bonus. Also it is kind to the engine and the opil so engines tend to last for a long time (the alfa isn't mine any more but is still running fine and is nearly at 250K miles now).

On the minus side, a chipped diesel is a better deal nowadays. The LPG tank takes up too much space, the tank range is generally poor so you are forever filling up, oh yes, and apparently it will melt your 350z valves.

See - you aren't missing a lot :)

Hmm well if they say that it can cause problems then I'd best give it a wide berth.

Will wait and see how much the daily commuting kills my wallet and but if Im honest I think that her days are going to be numbered with the petrol and tax costs going mental :mad:

• 5 weeks later...

When I was looking for a Z I considered imports and this Import Dealer was installing LPG int 350Zs - but when I went down I forgot to ask where the tank went.

He said he'd never had any problems, but I actually spent a bit more and bought a UK spec Z.

I asked Nissan and they said they would have to approve the converter/conversion so that it did not void the warranty.

( you might get a different answer off different people though )

http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/ ... 6&pageid=2