experience of the 'other side'

nikos

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's organise another Drift Day then later in the year.

PS: Did Dom get his suspension arm fixed?

Im up for that as i have my boots and delimiter sorted :thumbs:

No mate, boots no good for drifting, you really need a pair of light shoes. :p A lot like these....

Let's organise another Drift Day then later in the year.

PS: Did Dom get his suspension arm fixed?

Im up for that as i have my boots and delimiter sorted :thumbs:

No mate, boots no good for drifting, you really need a pair of light shoes. :p A lot like these....

:lol: one person less allowed to mock my red tracksuit bottoms now :lol:

Well, I'm of a similar opinion to David Baker, I'm here, I'm there, and I'm afraid the inability for either side to integrate is based on 'treehouse' syndrome.

I've spent the last 4 years running a car club that is much bigger than either of these sites and the key words to harmony are 'finding a happy medium', and that'll hopefully come in time.

Adjacent plots at JAE - that'll help.

I hear what you say Stephen but there appears to be an assumption that everyone wants the sites to amalgamate and that they have similar goals ...... I hold the belief that this would in fact be counter productive ..... both sites are heading towards different goals, amalgamation would lead to even more conflict and twice the number of chiefs required to preside over the Indians :scare::D

Besides ...... it's good to have a choice ...... when someone falls out with one site, they have the other to go to :boxing::surrender::blush::D

We have two great sites to pick these days ........ I think joining them together would be a step backwards now :)

I hope the following post will provide people with an insight into how this site came to exist, and the reasons for its existence. It may be long, but I hope that if people take the time to read it, they will gain an understanding of our community, and how it came to be.

Please dont let this thread turn into another keyboard war, so far it has been a great discussion, perhaps one of the most reasoned discussions of this issue for some time.

Anyway, here goes....

I don't proffess to know the "goals" of the other side, so cannot state whether we are heading toward different ones to the other site or not. I can simply speak for this site.

There seems to be some train of thought by people on both sites that 350z-uk.com was created with the sole purpose being competition or as grounds for a battle. It wasn't.

This site was originally created by myself, on my own lowly personal webspce that I got free with my ISP. It wasn't even called 350z-uk.com. In fact I couldnt think of a name for it. So there was no logo or name. LOL.

I had created a forum on my personal web space as a personal challenge to understand phpbb, and how to manage a forum. It was only due to the fact that I had recently purchased a 350z that I decided to try and theme it around my car. Had I decided to learn phpbb a few months earlier, it could very well have been about decking. :yawn:

I became member of the "old" 350Z site just a few weeks before it closed. I had owned the car about a week when it finally closed. I did read the posts and arguments for and against an "owners" club, where people would have to pay to be a "full" member.

I personally had, or at least the missus had, been a member of the MX-5 owners club previously, and to be honest we werent all that impressed with what we got. Sure it was only a few quid, but Im just one of those people that wants the moon on a stick, for the price of a lollipop. So I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of a paying club. Now I'm not stating that the 350Z owners club would or will turn out to be the same. Had my experience of the MX-5 club been very positive, then my feelings would have probably been different, but we all draw assumptions in life from our previous experiences, so thats what I did.

I was quite dissapointed at this point, because I had been (and still am) a member of www.uk-mkivs.net for my VW Golf. A great forum, with discounts, meets, trips to the nurburgring etc etc.. and it was all available for free.

Therefore I had really been overjoyed when I found that there was a similar forum for my newly bought Z, though when I found out about its pending closure, and rebirth as a paying members club, my experience of the MX-5 owners club just made me feel like the rug had been pulled from under my feet just as I had bought my new Z.

Therefore I became a recluse for a while, working on my own site, and I emailed someone else that was upset at the old site closure to see if they wanted to help with my forum.

I thought it was a daft idea. It would never work. Of course people would follow the crowd, and my site would be nothing more than a personal hobby, and full of my own posts about "where I went with my Z today".

But then something strange happened. Someone else joined. Then another. And another..

This cant carry on I thought. Why are all thes people joining? My site is rubbish, theres only five of us..

Then more.. and more..

Soon I needed to ask one of the first who joined if they wanted to help me manage it, and they did.

We then decided that as people were joining we needed a name, and it was decided that we needed something short, and yes, it was similar to the old name, but people thought that this didn't really matter, the name represented what we were.

Which at the time was a group of about 20 owners or enthusiasts.

Thats it I thought, a small group of people who may one day drift off, or decide they want to be part of the new paying club that had been set up.

Then it continued to grow.:scare: We had to move to a host we need to pay for, and people offered to pay for it! Then we moved again and more people offered to chip in.

The rest, as they say, is history.

I never thought this place would attract as many members as we have, and it continues to gain more every day. It seems that what has been created is a site that people enjoy. Something I feel proud of, and Im sure the other Moderators and Admins do too.

It was never created for the sole purpose of competition or as a platform to start arguments from. It was created by a group of people who wanted to share with others their suport and enjoyment of what is a fantastic car. It now transpires there are quite a number of those people who want to do the same!

So there you go. Thats how this place was born.

Some may say I created a monster, others may want to give me a hug for doing it (though if you see me you wont!). It now looks the way it does because of help from lots of others, a true group effort.

Whatever your stance on our existence, it is here because of continued input from the people who have given their time to post here.

It is down to each and every person that has ever taken the time to make a post on this board that we continue to grow. For my part, I thank you all, it is great to see this site continue to grow, and continue to gain more benefits for those that have taken the time to sign up.

I look forward to a great future and sharing my enjoyment of the best car Ive ever bought with like minded individuals, whatever communities they are part of.

Chris.

Spot on Chris ........ a fantastic post :D:D:D I agree with you're sentiments whole heartedly ........ after all it's a free world and I admire a man who sets a challenging goal and strives to achieve. Well done mate ..... all credit to you.

Please don't think in any way I am criticising this site or indeed your (and the rest of the moderators') achievement ...... I am not. In fact quite the opposite. I like the fact that there are two distinct and different site ...... it's a good thing IMHO. I wish people would get away from the idea that at some point this fine site and the OC will amalgamate. There is absolutely no need for it.

They are separate entities: one aims to be a totall free to use forum, the other aims to be a members club to primarily serve a subscribing membership - chalk and cheese really, diametrically differing on such a core ideal ....... and that isn't an issue ...... and long may it continue that way giving zed owners the opportunity to learn more about their beloved cars AND have a choice about how to do it.

I'M AGREEING :p:D:D:D:D

Chris,

Great post and now we know a lot more about the why and what for.

I am really grateful it happened and appreciate the really hard work you and others have put in.

My personal opinion is still that both clubs serve the same purpose:

That is to have a bunch of friendly faces who help and advice with a shared common interest around the 350z.

Just because I pay for one and not for the other makes no difference to me.

I get advice and information from both, I get discounts from both, I get meets from both, I get a forum and chat room on both, I even get stickers from both.

I do not need a hidden area as I have nothing to hide so everything that I need is here, apart from a few people on the other site that have not also joined this site (It’s the only thing missing for me).

My belief is that this site is a club for owners of the 350z and expand and that family to the site in the US and other countries. Hence it is an Owners Club.

I would like them to join and get rid of this “them and usâ€

Cheers Chris, I have to admit with being a newbie that I was wondering what all these undertones were about..... so nice to understand a little.....

I nearly spat all my beer out when I read this though:

Had I decided to learn phpbb a few months earlier, it could very well have been about decking. Yawn
Does anyone have any decent mods for some nice B&Q dark maple decking then? I'm looking for some extra performance :DB)

But seriously, I've only been here 2 mins and loving it..... so long may it continue and thanks to yourself and all the other moderators who help out etc.

:thumbs:

Timber protection is a must from the start, in orderto prevent greying.

I swear I spend haf my waking life in B&Q - my other hobby is DIY.

Thanks for all the comments folks, its nice to know you enjoy the site, and, as always if theres something you feel could be improved, or even somehing brand new you think would benefit the site - just pipe up, and we will see what can be done.

Chubbs - you've done your usual in being boring :p and cutting at the same time.

You are not welcome here; go away :p:lol:

Hi NagNag - Howz your MA in TechnoYawnMaking going? I heard you were in line for a 1st class Hons. :starwars: MODWARS lol.

I have news for you - I ain't welcome anywhere - it's an integral part of my charm :wiggle: so ban me!!!

ps - Noticed Val was lurking over the other side this morning, but didn't say hello :headhurt:

• 3 weeks later...

I use to think the 2 clubs should merge but recent events have changed my mind big time. I won't go into the details.

Basically have a choice is surely a good thing. Do we want a monopoly situation, I don't think so.

I'm with you Glynn and thanks Chris for providing this website. Keep up the good work.

I use to think the 2 clubs should merge but recent events have changed my mind big time. I won't go into the details.

Basically have a choice is surely a good thing. Do we want a monopoly situation, I don't think so.

I'm with you Glynn and thanks Chris for providing this website. Keep up the good work.

I like the new wheels BTW. Black looks geat with the yellow. Hope to see you on the Northwest run, Kev. :D