Front speakers with stock Bose and amp

fatalus

I am thinking of changing the crappy front speakers with some quality ones, keeping the Bose unit and stock amp. Anyone have some suggestions without very difficult installation? I have read someplace that the Infinity Kappa 60.7CS fit rather well and sound nice. Any experiences ??

The Infinity's will be alright, Focal a bit better. Just tiring on a long listen IMO. JL Audio / Hertz / Rainbow / Dynaudio also make good speakers. I know the JL and Hertz will go in nicely.

The Infinity's will be alright, Focal a bit better. Just tiring on a long listen IMO. JL Audio / Hertz / Rainbow / Dynaudio also make good speakers. I know the JL and Hertz will go in nicely.

if i'm being picky, then i would say focals can be a little bit bright after a while :thumbs: but i can live with that for the clarity but i do agree rob :thumbs:

so could you actually fit a set of front components and wire them up to the original bose head unit and amp?!

Would you get a much better quality of sound ?!

A little, but only if you sound deadened the doors, which would improve the standard units anyway. The weakest link in the chain is the amplification IMO so that would give the biggest benefits. :)

so if you just did front speakers and amp you'd get good gains even without swappin head unit?!

This is were it gets to the real problem. The BOSE headunit puts out a different level of output to an normal aftermarket headunit, which is why the PAC adaptor is needed to get an aftermarket unit to work.

A replacement amp won't work with the BOSE headunit for the same reason - the levels won't match. So it's all or nothing really..... :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I have decided to go for the JL audio VR650-CSi speakers which sound more than just good. I think they should fit nicely, though my only concern is the fact that they are 4 ohm speakers instead of 2 ohm that the Bose speakers are. Would that cause any problem?

I`m not sure I quite understand the need for spacers as shown in the link.

It looks like the original speakers already have spacer so can't these be reused (if you buy new speakers of the right size of course).

Also, it looks as if you can *almost* get the speakers out without taking the door off. Possible? Or foolish to even try...?

The new spacers provide a better mount for the speaker.

They can be re-used where they are separate, yes.

Can't remember, sorry bud. Whole door card came off for mine as part of the work.....

• 10 months later...

Sorry, thought I would revive an old thread rather than start a new one.

If I buy a set of new 6.5" doors speakers (to be powered by an Alpine V12) would I need a set of spacers? Something like this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-of-6-5-17cm- ... 240%3A1318

I'm planning on fitting something like this in the doors;

http://www.bassjunkies.com/audio/infinity-62-5i

And bridging my remaining 2 channels to power a sub. I've not decided for/against mounting a box in the boot or using the factory sub mount.

Thanks

I swapped my speakers a week or so ago and I just used the original one piece speakers as spacers. You literally have to rip the speaker cone out and then break the magnet etc out. Sounds fine though. I also replaced a few of the stickers that cover the holes etc as some had come off over the years.

Probably easier and safer to use the mdf spacers although they seem a bit pricey for a bit of mdf.

i used separate component speakers and I found that the tweeters fitted perfectly into the original tweeter position and the crossovers fitted above the woofer under the door card.

I think H5 is probably the best person to speak to though as he has an amazing system. (even won awards IIRC)

I replaced my crappy Bose units in my 02 JDM with 4 Infinity Kappas, front and rear. The difference was astounding. I kept the Bose amps and the original wiring but put an Alpine head unit in so I could use my iPod in the cubby. I kept the Bose sub as it is fine. I used two PAC boxes, 1 as an interface between the Alpine and the Bose amps and the other to enable my steering wheel controls to operate the Alpine and iPod. The sound was sweet and not at all tiring to listen too.

I hope this helps.

Damien.

Sorry, thought I would revive an old thread rather than start a new one.

If I buy a set of new 6.5" doors speakers (to be powered by an Alpine V12) would I need a set of spacers? Something like this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-of-6-5-17cm- ... 240%3A1318

I'm planning on fitting something like this in the doors;

http://www.bassjunkies.com/audio/infinity-62-5i

And bridging my remaining 2 channels to power a sub. I've not decided for/against mounting a box in the boot or using the factory sub mount.

Thanks

Using the standard mounts there isn't mush room for spacers behind the grille. The Alpines shouldn't need a spacer but I'd get the mounting depth needed and double check first. For the cash though, I'd look at getting a set of JL TR's though......

As for rears, I'd put most of my budget up front. If you want the music to sound as it intended, you need the sound up front. So probably faded forward a bit and therefore you don't need the best speakers behind you. Put the effort into the front speakers and you'll heard the benefits :)

Factory sub mount will need a lot of effort to seal it well enough to do a proper job with a decent sub. It needs a bit of research as there's only so much space behind the seat and subs need a certain volume to work best in.