Stiff 2nd Gear - Molyslip no help.

FrankPZ

Been doing a bit of research .
So my 2004 DE , like many others, suffers from stiff second gear when cold. This is most likely due to worn inner surface of the syncro ring.. As the oil heats up it lubes the syncro and makes the surfaces "stick" and gear change is then fine. This is not a huge problem but would still be nice to sort.
The ring works on friction so if this is the case by all means try new oil but do not add Molyslip as this reduces friction and that is the opposite of what you want.
Adding Molyslip has not helped one bit on my Z and now I know why. I used Motul 75W85, has anyone had better luck with a different oil?

syncro.jpg

I have always found that the Nissan OEM fluids work best in this tranny.

Choice of 2 below.

However, if the syncros are worn then they will require replacement which is not a huge job in the grand scheme of things.

350z-nissan-oem-mt-xz-75w-85-sports-off-road-manual-gearbox-oil.jpg

Picture 1 of 1

Early cars got offered a gearbox recall for rebuild. Unfortunately I never complained so didn't know about this until outside the Warranty period.

Much later, I obtained all the (later-spec) parts and had my gearbox rebuilt and it is now fine. I'd agree with Alex, use the Nissan-spec oil - I've never had the need to add anything to it. You do need to be firm with it, dont rush your changes, and it will be fine (It used to be rumoured that when looking for a box for the 350 they used one that had previously been used on Tractors - good story!!)

(Whilst gearbox was being overhauled I obtained a spare box from a low mileage GT4 and that didnt have the problem. As it was the same year as mine I can only assume it had the warranty work done.)

Update:

So changed the gearbox oil again, this time put in Castrol Transmax 75w90. Has not completely cured it, 2nd slightly stiff when cold,  but change is much better and I can live with it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I seem to be having an extreme version of this issue. All gears have needed a firm shift since I got the car, but second was a bit difficult to get into, especially when cold. Now it seems to lock out of second more often than not, so I need to shift 1st to 3rd. Double clutching to get second doesn't always work either.

Car is a HR with over 80k miles, it had the transmission oil changed with the OEM stuff about 5k ago. Clutch and flywheel are original (as is the clutch fluid by the look of it - but this is going to be the first fix I try). Do you reckon gearbox surgery is on the horizon - or is there a chance it could be to do with the clutch/DMF/CSC being on their way out?

I saw in this old thread that a new clutch/flywheel solved someone's 2nd gear issue: