Engine Power Loss

cjd1979

Well, the 4 weeks of zed ownership are not going well so far. Had the car for a day before it got returned to the dealers for two weeks to get the crunchy 5th-6th gear change sorted. Broke my wrist in the mean time, so havent driven it since its been back.

I couldnt bear it just sitting on the drive, so went out in it today with the other half driving. All absolutely fine till we tried to outpace an RS4 from a stationary start (not a good idea!). There was a fairly immediate power loss during this process (limp home mode I am guessing), we got about another 200m, before the engine then cut out. We tried to start it again, turned over briefly before dying. Not a happy man. On the back of a flat bed and returned to the dealers.

Doesnt seem to be a lot of insight into this on the forum. Am guessing that either through our driving (from what I have read this is a possibility) or through some issue with the car, we have got the ECU to drop into a safe mode and not come out of it. Am hoping that as soon as the technicians run a diagnostics check, all should become clear.

Having only driven 40 miles (10 myself) since having the car, am hoping that should be resolved without expense, but beyond waiting for the systems check, anyone have any thoughts on this?

That doesn't sound good :scare: Didn't know the car had a safe mode but I've driven it pretty hard without it kicking in. Did your other half accidentally change from 2nd to 1st instead of 3rd? That could have done it.

Hope it gets sorted out but let us know :thumbs:

:scare: that sounds v.bad

I've hit the rev limiter a couple of times since having mine and had the engine cut the power for a second - usually whilst trying to beat another car to a fast get away and leaving me look like a right div. Comes straight back though and let's me keep playing.

Really sorry your Z ownership experience has been so negative. I got mine 6 mnths ago after wanting a sports car for decades. Lovin' my choice, still just keep going out for pointless drives. Get Well Soon !

thanks big phil, supports something else i have read on this and your word seems like the law round here ;). The post I read indicated it could be something about wrong revs while changing gear or coming off the gas too quickly while at high revs. Just a question of an ECU reset to clear the fault or are we looking at having to replace the sensor?

Its a good job the shops were shut this afternoon, otherwise I would be working through some recently purchased cyanide pills... :byebye:

thanks big phil, supports something else i have read on this and your word seems like the law round here ;). The post I read indicated it could be something about wrong revs while changing gear or coming off the gas too quickly while at high revs. Just a question of an ECU reset to clear the fault or are we looking at having to replace the sensor?

Its a good job the shops were shut this afternoon, otherwise I would be working through some recently purchased cyanide pills... :byebye:

need to try full ECU and throttle position reset.

Is there not an easier way to reset the ECU, like pulling a fuse/s like on other cars? That guide (whilst I'm sure it's spot-on an is great if you don't want to start pulling the car apart) seems like hard work for something that should be so simple...

Or is this typical Jap engineering over-complicating everything? ;):lol:

Sounds not bad at all, especially compared to resetting my wife's key fob on her Toyota when it stopped opening the doors....

Neighbours must have thought I was insane opening and shutting the door and turning it on and off and holding down buttons on the key fob and swearing my head off when it wasn't working.... :D

Is there not an easier way to reset the ECU, like pulling a fuse/s like on other cars? That guide (whilst I'm sure it's spot-on an is great if you don't want to start pulling the car apart) seems like hard work for something that should be so simple...

Or is this typical Jap engineering over-complicating everything? ;):lol:

the proceedure is the only way to perform the reset.

thanks all for the contributions - much appreciated. have a bizarre feeling that i am going to know more about how to fix this than the dealers. Didnt get looked at today, so may give them a call tomorrow in advance of them getting on with it. Seems to be a half hour job at best so if they start being wiseguys, i should be able to hold my own. Am still hoping that the dealers will cover all expense off for me, but will see.

cheers chris

thanks all for the contributions - much appreciated. have a bizarre feeling that i am going to know more about how to fix this than the dealers. Didnt get looked at today, so may give them a call tomorrow in advance of them getting on with it. Seems to be a half hour job at best so if they start being wiseguys, i should be able to hold my own. Am still hoping that the dealers will cover all expense off for me, but will see.

cheers chris

Anytime you need advise feel free to call us.

Well, the car is back with me. Got a phone call from the dealers this afternoon asking me what the problem was. They had actually driven it from the sales showroom to the service department, so whatever that was stopping it from starting, was no longer stopping it. They didnt run any kind of diagnostic check, so for the time being I am gonna put it down to the reasons discussed above.

Back on the drive now for another couple of weeks now, until the wrist repairs, and then lets hope for at least a couple of weeks of stress free driving :dry:

thanks again for help - v.useful

chris

Guest prescience
They didnt even run a simple ECU diagnostic to see what went wrong? That sounds weird...

Agreed, it's incredible they didn't even bother hooking it up to the Consult to see if any diganostic message were present - the implication is that they assumed you were making it up :angry:

They didnt even run a simple ECU diagnostic to see what went wrong? That sounds weird...

Agreed, it's incredible they didn't even bother hooking it up to the Consult to see if any diganostic message were present - the implication is that they assumed you were making it up :angry:

I would tell them to go back and hook it up. They should know better than to assume as it is running ok now that the car is in fact ok. There could be plenty wrong with it without showing on a small drive :rant:

yeah, i am coming to the same conclusion on this - due to the broken wrist and being Spain it hasn't been driven since coming back home over a week ago, hence a little bit of lethargy on this.

I will be having a word with the service manager (at Camden Nissan) shortly to get this sorted. It doesnt exactly inspire confidence in the car and their approach to getting this sorted. A diagnostics check definitely needs to be done to ensure i am not left with the same problem again, and done for free.

Given the fact that I havent driven it much in the past 4 weeks and it has been sat on a forecourt for the some weeks before that, it could be a battery problem, but probably shouldnt be up to me to diagnose should it?

will keep you all posted and again thanks for comments. anyone know any good independent dealers Northampton way, or am I off to Marshalls in Cambridge?

be having a word with the service manager (at Camden Nissan) shortly to get this sorted. It doesnt exactly inspire confidence in the car and their approach to getting this sorted. A diagnostics check definitely needs to be done to ensure i am not left with the same problem again, and done for free.

Is that the one in Northampton? If so, one to scratch of the list of places I may consider getting mine serviced....