Rust - Is the z Done

jdm2003

Well after a full engine rebuild and a trip for the MOT. looks like my zed is done, The mechanic spotted corrosion behind the kidney braces on the sub frame. 
I have removed the W brace and Rear Stays and found it to be rotten. I could make a plate and weld it? first though the fuel tank is right there, and even if i remove it I'm worried about the inside catching fire. The only solution I can think of would be to bolt a plate on. the other side is the same.
PXL_20221011_153939146.jpg.f8495a48055c77f3faee98f796c881cb.jpgPXL_20221011_153958214.jpg.6308c1d485dd225e5b119a29758e00cb.jpg

Cheers Alex.
I'm just looking up how much work it is to take the tank out and the carpets and scrape all the Factory rust coating that can catch fire also..

I'm paranoid about fire after seeing some one on YouTube attempt the same sort of repair and set fire to the car.
I would much prefer to us an original section and replace. What price can you do the parts for?

1 hour ago, jdm2003 said:

Cheers Alex.
I'm just looking up how much work it is to take the tank out and the carpets and scrape all the Factory rust coating that can catch fire also..

I'm paranoid about fire after seeing some one on YouTube attempt the same sort of repair and set fire to the car.
I would much prefer to us an original section and replace. What price can you do the parts for?

Absolutely no need to remove the tank etc.

A competent welder with the right equipment will weld in the repair sections without the risk of fire.

Oxygen/Acetylene welding techniques are  no longer used for this type of welding, so no naked flames, which would be a fire hazard.

I have done this job over half a dozen times in the shop over the years and as a guide it takes around 1.5 hours per side to carry out the welding, using an OEM repair section.

PM received and replied to.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great to hear, I'm in exactly the same boat: passed last week with minor advisories (rust underneath front of car).

Had to replace the y-pipe with a second-hand Cobra I got ages ago in order to get the lambda reading low enough due to splits around the flexi areas.

Al.

• 4 months later...