Council Tax

sl114

Not all but some local councils but the details on their websites, so worth checking.

If you have evidence of other properties of a similar / same nature to yours in the area being banded lower that would help in your appeal. From memory I think you need to appeal within a certain time period.

Some councils take a sale of a property as an opportunity to re-band so you may be unfortunate and have just tripped into that if your property was borderline before.

Worth appealing though, in a previous property I have personal experience of being re-banded down after an appeal.

Does anyone on here know or have access to how to band a property for council tax?

Its a one bed apartment and been banded up as C

:rant:

Think your self lucky , mines 1 bed apartment in the midlands and thats band C too!!!!

You can protest against but you have to get everyone with an apartment in your block to all complian, then they will review. Thats what i'm doing as mines a new build and Stafford Council have lost the plot

Cheers buddy, its a new build so just had the valuation done and agreed so there was no banding before.

Im going to get everyone to sign a petition in the building too as my friend said he has spoken to others and they are all saying the same. i will then go have a look at similar properties. :thumbs:

Cheers buddy, its a new build so just had the valuation done and agreed so there was no banding before.

Im going to get everyone to sign a petition in the building too as my friend said he has spoken to others and they are all saying the same. i will then go have a look at similar properties. :thumbs:

I reckon they pull letters out of a hat !!!

My apartment is a band C yet my old 3 bed house down the road is a band B.

slightly off topic but what is the difference between an apartment and a flat?

I'm intrigued.....

A flat's for common people :lol:

Think apartments tend to be what they call new builds, more trendy. Only let classy people have one B)

My nan had a flat, but it was council. - see for common people

slightly off topic but what is the difference between an apartment and a flat?

I'm intrigued.....

A flat's for common people :lol:

Think apartments tend to be what they call new builds, more trendy. Only let classy people have one B)

My nan had a flat, but it was council. - see for common people

:lol::thumbs:

This link might help you:

http://www.voa.gov.uk/council_tax/cti_home.htm

and where it says:

Property values and bands

The council tax band of a property is not related to its current market value. This is because, by law, council tax valuations are based on the price a property would have fetched if it had been sold on 1 April 1991. For Wales the Valuation date is 1 April 2003. General price movements in the housing market since that date are not, therefore, a reason for changing a council tax banding. If you are thinking of challenging your band, please read the 'Can I challenge the list entry?' pages for the circumstances that permit a 'proposal for alteration of a list'.

Therefore all based on the 'assumed' value on 1/4/91, irrespective of the fact it might be brand new. So if you can find out what comparable flats were sold for then, and hopefully they would be in Band B, or even better band A, a challenge could well be worthwhile. ;)

Ok. That's what I thought. My dads mate bought a 'flat' up here. Went to visit and it was a penthouse on two floors with good views and a 500k+ price tag. That is a lot for a flat up here. Then you see one bed 'apartments' in tinky areas.....

I thought it might be a 'trendy young professional' thing.

So, to answer my own question..... about £30k :lol:

Does anyone on here know or have access to how to band a property for council tax?

Its a one bed apartment and been banded up as C

:rant:

ahh welcome to the grown up world mate, wait till you hit puberty youll wonder what the hell is happening then cry in the nearest corner thinking youre turning into a warewolf. :headhurt::p

If the banding is wrong, they are obliged to change it and reimburse you for overpayments. howver, it works visa versa but I'd be surprised if you were banded higher. Some fella complained cos he found out he was paying more than everyone else on his street, so the council checked it and upped everyone elses :lol:

Well its also a private apartment block on a private road, so the council dont even pay for the roads! But i dont think that counts!

Quite correct :thumbs:

Its a totally unfair system, like so many tax and other things in this country now and that could get me onto the benefits we hand out to everyone who just see the UK as the best charity going..... :rant:

Well its also a private apartment block on a private road, so the council dont even pay for the roads! But i dont think that counts!

Its a totally unfair system, like so many tax and other things in this country now and that could get me onto the benefits we hand out to everyone who just see the UK as the best charity going..... :rant:

a charity but not for its occupants :headhurt:

i.e: those born and bred here (just so we are clear!) :thumbs:

i.e: those born and bred here (just so we are clear!) :thumbs:

:thumbs: exactly