Which Throttle Body Upgrade for the HR

sjparker

Hello all,

New to the forum and to Zed ownership. 

I had some issues with the car going into limp mode and throw P1233 (Throttle Valve Control: Circuit Defective) and P1239 (Throttle Valve Position Sensor: Faulty). It only happens in very cold temperatures but it is really annoying having to clear the OBD codes each time to get the car functioning again.

I took the car to Horsham Developments and they said it looks like the throttle body valves have some corrosion and dirt. They said that although cleaning only takes an hour, it can throw off throttle positioning and this needs ECU work done. Total cost around £500.

I'm not technically minded at all but after a bit of research, I assume that I can just replace the throttle bodies which upgraded ones as I'm already half way there with the cost of that fix I thought if I'm going to spend that much just on cleaning, I might as well just replace throttle bodies entirely with upgraded ones as I do plan to remap the car in the future.

Out of the two of these, which would be better for the HR engine:

https://www.torqen.uk/specials/simplistic-garage/68555-simplistic-garage-complete-75mm-throttle-body-kit-hrvhr2003-vq35hrvq37vhr-g35-07-08-350z-g37fx37-370z-infiniti-q50-q60.html

or

https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/intakes/throttle-bodies/15488-350z-hr-eps-tuning-70mm-big-bore-throttle-body-kit-bb70-kit.html

Or is there any other options that I might have missed?

Appreciate any help or guidance, thanks!

Edited by sjparker

If you're sure that the throttle bodies are the problem then you might as well have a go at cleaning them.

They're very simple to remove and you shouldn't have any issues with the ECUs as long as you disconnect them BEFORE you disturb the butterfly valves. 

If that doesn't help then I'd PM @ZMANALEX to see if he has any second hand oem replacements, I'm not sure you'd gain much (if anything) from a bigger throttle body especially on standard intakes/engine internals. 

• Thanks 1

Hello and welcome! 

Both are fairly similar kits in the sense that they use the same concept and very similar CNC parts, I wouldn't say one is better than the other but EPS has been around for a lot longer therefore we have sold more of those. Upgrading yours would also mean you need slightly bigger intake tubes as they have larger throttle plates so it's also worth taking that into consideration. 

As you said, if it's going to be £500 to have the current ones fixed, it's just a case of weighing up the options and your future plans with the car. If you do plan a remap and are looking for some slight power gains in the future, you may as well upgrade them now instead of forking out the money to fix them with no extra benefits. 

Also keep in mind, the throttle bodies are recommended for naturally aspirated builds with supporting mods to fully make use of the power gains. If you have plans to switch to forced induction anywhere in the future, it wouldn't make sense to go for these, you could utilise the funds for better and more efficient mods. 

If you have any questions or need any advice, feel free to get in touch. 

What Jack has said:  :thumbs:

Very easy to clean but it is imperative that you disconnect the ECU and the battery prior to removing the TBs.

If this does not work then drop me a message as I have fully working OEM HR TBs in stock which will be plug and play.