wierd insurance phenomenon

nixy

I have heard that by adding a lady driver to your policy it can reduce the cost - however, I have just done a quote for myself which came out at £607 - then I added my husband who has 3 points for speeding and it came down to £450! What's that all about?

The weird world of insurance.

My Astra got smashed, I wasn't in the car, the driver was caught. My premium goes up! Fantastic!

I asked why, because research shows that if a non fault claim is made, the next claim will be fault! :wacko:

I have heard that by adding a lady driver to your policy it can reduce the cost - however, I have just done a quote for myself which came out at £607 - then I added my husband who has 3 points for speeding and it came down to £450! What's that all about?

Is your husband older than you?

It often works that if you put someone else on who is older and has been drving a few years that the premium drops.

Its cause they think you'll be driving it less and therefore reduces their risk of having to pay out

A friend of mine has his mother as a named driver on the insurance for his Laguna as it took a significant chunk off the premium. It was at the recommendation of his insurer when he asked if there was anything he could do to lower the premium, he explained that they didn't live anywhere near each other and that she would never drive it. They said that wasn't a problem. :wacko:

I can only guess at the reasons, but it's just playing the statistics. If someone else is named then if you're driving a long distance or incapacitated in some way they can take over and reduce the risk of an accident.

When I insured the zorst induction and plenum and high flow cat, they asked me if it had any effects on the performance. Since the ECU is self learning I said no, they said they will note down the mods but there is no extra for the insurance :thumbs:

adding my girlfriend took nearly £300 off my insurance on the Zed. She is younger than me too....dont read into it;)

Was proper chuffed when I did it. Believe it is just mitigating the 'risk' over the same number of insured miles.

Definately worth a try even if it just means putting on a friend [whether they know or otherwise]

I added my girlfiend as a named driver (although she doesn't know or need to know) and my premium went down by £70.

This is with admiral, my policy is now only £340 protected fully comp

should have said you were in a love triangle and got £140 off :thumbs:

I added my girlfiend as a named driver (although she doesn't know or need to know) and my premium went down by £70.

How much would you get off if you was in an open relationship :scare::lol:

zero - too high a risk from their husbands finding out and killing you :thumbs:

lesbians must get a good discount though :thumbs:

zero - too high a risk from their husbands finding out and killing you :thumbs:

lesbians must get a good discount though :thumbs:

love this thread :lol::yahoo:

Those young comments :lol::headhurt:

The price of insurance is governed by the perception of risk that the underwriter has of your details. Different underwriters use a different mix of risk assessment criteria in making their judgement similar in the way credit companies assess credit worthiness based on their acceptable business levels of risk.

Adding another driver over 25 is usually a common reduction of risk, the opposite is true for under 25 where the risk from accident statistics increases.

There is believe it or not a surprising potential difference between job titles that can make a few % difference, although anything bordering on fraud is naturally not recommended, at best it is a reason for non-payout on a claim (same with answers on performance mods). As an example a job title of "Area manager" may incur an increase of 5% over "development manager", if the title reasonably represents what you do for a living then you are alright.

The comparison websites don't all use the same brokers or insurers so it is worth using a couple of them, last time I looked it up MSP had the most brokers and insurers but Confused had 12 brokers and 6 insurers that MSP did not use. If you've got the time and will power to re-enter details it can make a difference, the other point I've noted is that for some reason you don't always get the same quote back from the different sites from the same broker/ insurer and this seems to be driven by the slightly different questions they ask you.

I hope that is of use to someone but I suspect that it might be common knowledge to all of you. Sorry for the fairly long missive.

I realised that...... :blush::blush:

Ok, she is 21. :lol:

Beat you on that, mine is 19 ;)

we are heading in a direction you could be arrested for :scare::headhurt:

best we leave it there :thumbs:

dont want a "my missus was last cos she had detention for playing truant" reply :surrender:

dont want a "my missus was last cos she had detention for playing truant" reply :surrender:

Over 16 = fine! Well legally anyway, but not in the, "its right" books.

Over 16 = fine! Well legally anyway, but not in the, "its right" books.

what frightens me about young girlfriends is that they cant afford to go halfs on the petrol :thumbs::lol:

ha ha! My post was genuine! My mum takes my insurance down however my GF puts it up. Shame as she'd love to drive the Zed around....
Im going to see how it affects insurance soon as we will be getting a joint car, however i may also put my mum or dad on the insurance to lower the price