Headphones leatherette earpads peeling

HEADPHONES

Bought some Sony MDR XB-700 over 10 years ago.

Lovely huge earpads.

But with age the leatherette coating was disintergrating.

It'd leave what can only be described as "black dandruff" in and around my ears and face after use:(.

I've got some aftermarket replacements on order from China but have read that the cushions are lacking about 1cm in depth and softness.

Just taken duct tape to the surfaces on and around the ears in the same way as you'd use a lint roller.

It's take all the peeling loose black garbage off the surface leaving bare cloth.

Worn out Sony MDR xb7002020-08-29_12-15-46

Still life in these old cans yet!

Worn out Sony mdrxb700

• 1 month later...
On 29/08/2020 at 00:23, HEADPHONES said:

Bought some Sony MDR XB-700 over 10 years ago.

Lovely huge earpads.

But with age the leatherette coating was disintergrating.

It'd leave what can only be described as "black dandruff" in and around my ears and face after use:(.

I've got some aftermarket replacements on order from China but have read that the cushions are lacking about 1cm in depth and softness.

Just taken duct tape to the surfaces on and around the ears in the same way as you'd use a lint roller.

It's take all the peeling loose black garbage off the surface leaving bare cloth.

Worn out Sony MDR xb7002020-08-29_12-15-46

Still life in these old cans yet!

Worn out Sony mdrxb700

Oh dear seems to be a more common issue than you think? My Roberts Dab radio is about the same age and known for the same issue. I don't trash it just site on the window sill and now it looks like a spotty teenager. 

I will recover it in thin vinyl at some point. 

Super thin real leather is best but if you go for leatherette or vinyl maybe go for perforated like headlining in VW vans for example (obviously not white!!) Although not sure if that affects acoustics?.

Best sewing slowly by hand although I think that shape will be a pig to copy, especially as your original is falling to bits? 

IMG_20200929_225116955.jpg

Edited by stanski