garage/drive advice

nixy

I've got a piece of hardstanding in front of my garage that apart from being ugly has a kerb effect. I haven't attempted to get the car up there as at the moment the garage is full of stuff we are using to renovate the house. assuming I can get the car through a 7 foot wide door what would you recommend to smooth the lump? Someone has suggested putting a row of house bricks round the edge then gravelling over as gravel on it's own would be too deep. And to get rid of the concrete would be a mammoth task! You can just imagine having to put the revs on to get up the ledge when you're pointing to a narrow door! Plus the angle of the drive means driving around the corner and probably reversing in as i would be going in the right hand door due to a workbench in the back of the garage on the left.

Photo-0158-1.jpg

Photo-0159-1.jpg

I think a quick cheap fix may not last. Always a problem with all the other things you want which will naturally take priority. I would say that the best approach would be to look long term and get a solid driveway of whichever material. A quick fix would soon become visually and practicaly irritating. Only my opinion though .

Don't recommend topping up gravel as it looks like you have a couple of inches of it already. Common problem is not having a consolidated base and with a gripping grit on top before the finished layer of gravel, this is why many gravel drives are soft underfoot.

Simplest fix looks like a double / treble row of drive bricks sloping down around base to blend in with bricks of house / garage colour and to gradually lower that edge on all 3 sides. Not sure if you should put them in front of edge where your Azure wheelie bin is though, worth drawing it out to see what it looks like, might tie in better. Probably cost effective a way to do it that is practical and looks intended.

Don't recommend topping up gravel as it looks like you have a couple of inches of it already. Common problem is not having a consolidated base and with a gripping grit on top before the finished layer of gravel, this is why many gravel drives are soft underfoot.

Simplest fix looks like a double / treble row of drive bricks sloping down around base to blend in with bricks of house / garage colour and to gradually lower that edge on all 3 sides. Not sure if you should put them in front of edge where your Azure wheelie bin is though, worth drawing it out to see what it looks like, might tie in better. Probably cost effective a way to do it that is practical and looks intended.

Drive bricks? Never heard of them but I'll look into it. :thumbs:

The point is not house bricks they will crumble and flake very quickly. Various colour finishes possible. another Route would be a concrete edging with an imprinted pattern / die around it.

Certainly edging the slab is quickest / cheapest solution but getting it to look tied in to style and not a glaring addition is the devil in the detail. My guess is same/similar colour as garage brick might work best and then the width of the edging becomes a factor same width as path through gate ? maybe but then adding cost, would 3 width brick work best to not look stingy and give shallower slope.

Best of luck with it.

Nice garage :thumbs:

I had a gravel drive at my last house (not quite a mile long though :p) and used kerb stones like these

497.jpg

to fit it to the pavement. Worked quite well esp when the gravel compressed a bit. Get them concreted in place and it won't be that expensive a job to get a pro to do it.

All depends what your budget is? ;)

Just Googled 'Driveways in York' and got the following - might give you some ideas/quotes?

http://york.gumtree.com/york/76/18077576.html

I have no idea of their credentials but you should always ask to see examples of work (in the flesh - not glossy pics) and don't be afraid to knock on the owners' doors and see if they are pleased with the work/outcome.

Some of the resin-bond formats are quite good. But you may have to remove some, if not all, the depth of that concrete in front of the garage and perhaps limit the new surface to the area between the garage and house?

What have you decided about having a single garage opening? I can certainly see the present two doors will not make access/egress easy and seing the limited space betwen the garage and house.

Good luck :thumbs:

get ya grass cut , the neighbours are talking

oi, those are my 'just moved in' pics. I'm hoping to have some good before and afters soon!

Still working on the other half for the roller door but I usually get my own way - that's how I got the Z in the end! :thumbs:

Lots of good advice thanks everyone. :thumbs:

we actually bought it for the location and peace and quiet and nice private drive after our last neighbours! The house needs completely gutting though so lots to do! We've only finished one room so far.

we actually bought it for the location and peace and quiet and nice private drive after our last neighbours! The house needs completely gutting though so lots to do! We've only finished one room so far.

come on now, priorities, the garage/drive should be first on the list ;)

it is MY priority - just not someone elses unfortunately!

And reversing in? You sound like my bloody husband - he says - 'new garage door? You've got a driving licence haven't you? If you can't get through there you should have it taken off you' He's a pig! :lol:

it is MY priority - just not someone elses unfortunately!

And reversing in? You sound like my bloody husband - he says - 'new garage door? You've got a driving licence haven't you? If you can't get through there you should have it taken off you' He's a pig! :lol:

:lol::surrender: Not sure it deserved that!! :p

It's easy. Just check the wing mirrors and keep the steering wheel straight! ;)