Motorbikes!

jimbadman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont think for 1 minute that a 600 is slow :scare: because it's not a 1000 !

:blush: Or 500cc 2 stroke. ;) The higher cc bikes are generally a lot heavier too, the old power to weight. More weight to try pick up if, eek, you go for a slide, you probably won't have a hope. :wacko:

:blush: Or 500cc 2 stroke. ;) The higher cc bikes are generally a lot heavier too, the old power to weight. More weight to try pick up if, eek, you go for a slide, you probably won't have a hope. :wacko:

Yes it's a shame that they still dont produce the two stroke's , I had a Suzuki RG500 for a season and that was a real hoot :thumbs:

i think this was more applicable in the past, the biggest difference is the gearing and mapping but as with the new gsxr 1000 you can choose what map you use by a switch on the bars

you can basically change the power to 600/750/1000 using the switch, when tested on most tracks it was quicker in the 600 mode as you can power on earlier on a corner exit :thumbs:

we are focusing on sports bike not commuters, that said i think a commuter would better suit the guys needs tbh :thumbs:

Looking to buy a bike to make the commute a bit quicker and a hell of a lot cheaper,

Dunno if anyone said it in the thread, but bike to work:

Quicker? Hell yeah!

Cheaper? Hell no!

;)

Depends on the bike ;)

Honda C90...... £16 road tax, approx 150 mpg defo cheaper ,

street cred 0% :lol:

Looking to buy a bike to make the commute a bit quicker and a hell of a lot cheaper,

Quicker? Hell yeah!

Cheaper? Hell no!

;)

Depends on the bike ;)

Honda C90...... £16 road tax, approx 150 mpg defo cheaper ,

street cred 0% :lol:

retro chic ! what goes around comes around :thumbs: although very slowly in the honda's case :lol:

Quicker? Hell yeah!

Cheaper? Hell no!

;)

Derby Station charge £10 a day for parking so I save £50 a week using the bike. My Diversion cost me £600, only cost me £100 a year insurance and does 50 mpg. So cheaper for me... ;)

Ok, but i know nobody who pays £10 day for parking space at/near his workplace. Thats about £200 a month! You d be better of staying at home :wacko:

Its like saying 'my daily drive is a Ferrari so it is cheaper to go to work with a motorbike...'

Ok, but i know nobody who pays £10 day for parking space at/near his workplace. Thats about £200 a month! You d be better of staying at home :wacko.

Well you do now....me. I was paying £50 a week to park at Derby training station.

PS: Nothing in comparison to the £123.50 return train fare to London..... :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone who tells you a 1000 is faster is only right if they are a big bloke or they talks out their ass. Most bikers I speak to say thou's arent any quicker and just go through rear tyres quicker as you just cant use the power.

Give over, a 600 is a good starter bike but with a couple of years experience, depending on your level of ability you will want more power. My wife has an R6 and I pin the throttle to the stop and sit there waiting for it to pick up, and yes although it will wipe the floor with most cars it's not in the same league as my R1. Having said that on the twisty stuff there wouldn't be much in it.

Anyone who tells you a 1000 is faster is only right if they are a big bloke or they talks out their ass. Most bikers I speak to say thou's arent any quicker and just go through rear tyres quicker as you just cant use the power.

Give over, a 600 is a good starter bike but with a couple of years experience, depending on your level of ability you will want more power. My wife has an R6 and I pin the throttle to the stop and sit there waiting for it to pick up, and yes although it will wipe the floor with most cars it's not in the same league as my R1. Having said that on the twisty stuff there wouldn't be much in it.

Yeah but Dan you are part of the exception I gave. From what I understand you're not the smallest bloke in the world. For the vast majority the R1 wont be as usable as the R6, but for someone of your stature I think you can reach the limit of the power of the R6. And who goes on something other than the twisites, thats where the fun is :drive1

From what I understand you're not the smallest bloke in the world.

Oi, what you tryin to say :boxing:

LOL, only kidding Chris :teeth:

Yeah 20 stone naked, must be heading for 22 stone in the leathers and the best part of 30 stone with my small boy hanging on the back, so a 600 does get a little breathless. Plus my favourite route involves some lovely wide open stretches, lightly policed early on Sunday mornings. You can really let fly on there and it can make a 600 feel slow.

Having said all that, my favourite bike of all time is still the Ducati 900 Supersport. That only had 80bhp but ran rings round most bikes on the twisties. I swear I cornered quicker on that than I do on the R1 - I ate the rear tyre in 3000 miles on that Duke ! - but I tend to find the suspension is too soft on Japanese bikes. The Duke had Ohlins suspension, nice and firm, and stuck like glue. Really inspired confidence. Very underated bike, in my opinion. I would buy another but they don't make them anymore.

From what I understand you're not the smallest bloke in the world.

Oi, what you tryin to say :boxing:

LOL, only kidding Chris :teeth:

Yeah 20 stone naked, must be heading for 22 stone in the leathers and the best part of 30 stone with my small boy hanging on the back, so a 600 does get a little breathless. Plus my favourite route involves some lovely wide open stretches, lightly policed early on Sunday mornings. You can really let fly on there and it can make a 600 feel slow.

Having said all that, my favourite bike of all time is still the Ducati 900 Supersport. That only had 80bhp but ran rings round most bikes on the twisties. I swear I cornered quicker on that than I do on the R1 - I ate the rear tyre in 3000 miles on that Duke ! - but I tend to find the suspension is too soft on Japanese bikes. The Duke had Ohlins suspension, nice and firm, and stuck like glue. Really inspired confidence. Very underated bike, in my opinion. I would buy another but they don't make them anymore.

Well I think we agree that we are two completely different blokes (or is that you are two of me, I'm only 11st :blush: ). Agreed that if you are small like me and have no pillion the 600 is more than enough and if a little *ahem* larger, then you can get the use out of the thou. I was trying to say that the usual pub arguement of the thou will wipe the floor with the 6 is not true, especuially in the twisties. Each to their own at the end of the day :thumbs:

And I officially hate you for having had a Duke. I wanted a 916 (and still do) soooo badly. Nothing can come close to the sound of a Duke hammering along :teeth:

And I officially hate you for having had a Duke. I wanted a 916 (and still do) soooo badly. Nothing can come close to the sound of a Duke hammering along :teeth:

You're gonna hate me even more now !

I've had 4 Dukes, starting way back in 1990 with a 906 Paso, then a 750 Super Sport in 97, then the 900SS in 2000, then a 996 in 2002. I've lost count of how many bikes I've had but it must be heading for 20.

I had a brand new blade in 2001, then from 2003 I had 3 brand new R1s in a row. My first bike was an FZR1000 Genesis so I do have a soft spot for Yams, but my real love is Ducatis.

I'm very tempted with the 1098 right now but I'm getting a bit old for the radical riding postion, and with the powerlifting I'm short of mobility and can't turn my head to see at junctions... :scare:

There is a very good chance I'll plump for an Aprillia Tuono because of this.

What are you riding Chris ?

I always wanted a Duke and bought a 996BP last October. I hated it, too much like hard work. Sounded and looked great but didn't enjoy riding it. I won't be having another Duke. Mine had £4k's worth of service receipts BTW...:scare:

I love my R1 though, much nicer to ride and much quicker. It's also got a full Yoshi Race system so sounds pretty nice too... :thumbs:

I always wanted a Duke and bought a 996BP last October. I hated it, too much like hard work. Sounded and looked great but didn't enjoy riding it. I won't be having another Duke. Mine had £4k's worth of service receipts BTW...:scare:

I love my R1 though, much nicer to ride and much quicker. It's also got a full Yoshi Race system so sounds pretty nice too... :thumbs:

Yeah I know what you mean, I think the word is "focused". Rock hard ride, radical riding postion, only makes sense when you are on it. But I must confess I'm a Sunday morning rider so I can live with all that. My bike is just a toy and I know I'm never going to do much more than a couple of hundred miles at a time on the thing.

It's the looks and the noise with Ducatis, as you say. Gorgeous things.

Yeah I know what you mean, I think the word is "focused". Rock hard ride, radical riding postion, only makes sense when you are on it. But I must confess I'm a Sunday morning rider so I can live with all that. My bike is just a toy and I know I'm never going to do much more than a couple of hundred miles at a time on the thing.

I would have described my 996 as "agricultural".... :lol:

at standstill with the clutch out they sound like a bag o nails :scare: (dry clutch :blush:

at standstill with the clutch out they sound like a bag o nails :scare: (dry clutch :blush:

And the clutch grabs, the clutch is heavy even though it's hydraulic. The vibrations from the V twin are horrible, the throttle is super sensitive..etc. etc. :scare:

Give me an R1 any day... :thumbs: