Whaley Bridge dam. Poor sods

stanski

I do feel sorry for people living near that dam in Whaley Bridge , just waiting and hoping their houses wont be effected, but just like the slag pits in welsh mining towns being located at the top of villages, why the hell did they think it was a good idea to build them so close? Or were the villages built afterwards?

A Victorian dam built 200 years ago using basic building techniques and materials, clay and soil, has managed to survive all that time until the storm this week. I read it is tested only twice a year? Surely something like that should have some sort of electronic stress or movement sensors keeping a more regular alerting structure in place? But once again like the leaking water pipes and drains our Victorian friends built all those years ago, they dont last forever and there appears to be no money to fix or replace them? The only time any fuss is made when something life threatening like this occurs?  

Now the MPs are making a noise to be seen to deal with this issue for pr reasons, do they really care? I doubt it?

I hope it holds up imagine having your entire belongings and house wiped out in minutes and not being able to do anything about it, but stand and watch from afar?:surrender:

Edited by stanski

Terrible really, the residents literally had minutes to grab what they could and leave and not allowed back. 

I can imagine their property prices are dirt cheap, which was the incentive to buy houses there.

17 minutes ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

Apparently there are people refusing to leave their houses also. 

Yes which is understandable but at the same time foolish! Although some burglaries already taken place! Scum!

Its time like these I am glad I live on a hill. Was thinking the other day, must be terrible to have to decide quickly what to grab and take with you. Guess it could be a good selling point for chopping the sports car in for a Transit van as you could get more in, in a time of emergency.

• Like 1