What other cars did you consider?

Goochie

Coming from a Scooby I had to at least try the WRX before getting the Zed.

I was hoping for quite a bit, and predictably I was hugely disappointed. It didn't feel as fast as my Turbo, plus I worked out that I would have needed to spend £1500 getting it to the same standard as my old Turbo. Needless to say although I had the demo car booked out for 3 hours I was back within 25 mins saying "er, no thanks".

Aside from that nothing else really got me going that much. The RX8 is too fashionable for me, too much going on with it. Plus you have to explain wankel every ten seconds.

S2000 perhaps, ok, good car, but not really my driving style to be honest. I prefer the lazy power option. :D

In the end I just fancied the Zed really :thumbs:

I test drove the RX8, not a patch on the Z. hair-dryer noise, definitely not my taste.

S2000 is too cramped for me, plus you seem to be sitting ON the car and not IN it.

Vtec is for me anoying to have to rev it to death to go anywhere. NO TORQUE! especially low down!

Only really was the once choice, Z :thumbs: Had a couple of mates that also fancied one. Managed to put them off till I got mine first. :p

Considered the boxter but expensive running costs put me off and can be a bit of a hair dressers car.

Lotues elise. Tryed. Getting in and out on all fours was a major turn off and also the wear on some main parts seems high.

TVR Griffiths. Quite fancied but just too unreliable. Lovely exhaust note.

Coming from a 'classic' scooby I'd done the 4wd rocket-thang, so was looking for something that was an upgrade, something which excited me :teeth: I ended up with quite an eclectic mix:

M3 - too expensive in the end

MCoupe - nice, but too old

Lotus - too unreliable (I've had a Chimaera, great car, watching buttons disappear into the dash when pressed was all part of the fun! :dry: )

Clio V6 - blame EVO! Great looking car, but that's just willfully impractical... :headhurt:

And so, 350Z! B)

RX8 - never lusted after one. And I agree - by all accounts no torque!

Alfa Romeo GTV 3.2. I'd had two of the 3 litre ones before so time for a change.

M3 - expensive by the time you add some equipment and let's face it looks wise not much different to a standard 3 series.

Boxster S - again extras epensive and the back end design is poor, plus a soft top.

Audi TT - just too common now.

RX8 - they must have let the YTS trainee design the back end.

Generally ruled out soft tops due to London living but the S2000 nearly made it to the short list.

Was looking at M3's and 350z's only really. Wanted a car that (for where I live) isnt particularly common, fast and everyone knows what it is but DrP said its more expensive and lets face it, I think M3's suit businessmen and older parents than someone like me.

Cant beat the Nissans "pimping power" lol B)

Just come from scooby which was just over 18months old when sold last week. These were becoming the car of the chav :thumbdown:

So comsidered Porsche cayman but looking at the options list was gonna cost over £45K+ and that was too much really, also considered Audi S4 cab but again add some bits and £45K+.

The looks,performance,sound and equipment with the 350 was unbeatable and it allows a bit in the pot for small mods..... :p

Here's my story :p

I was ready to order a 307CC to replace the not long gone 206CC.

That was in December and had already paid £499 on 1st Dec to buy CC05 PUG number plate as the 307CC was going to be specially modified so needed a fitting plate, just like the 206CC had P20G CC.

The previous month, I had had to punt the 206CC to an unsuspecting dealer as the engine was goosed and due to (long story) reasons, it was not being done under warranty and I wasn't paying over £3k to get it done.

I was already completely p****d off with Pug dealers (many of them) and was buying an import 307CC.

Then one day I was talking to Lyndon (Neo) on MSN and he was going on about the Z he had just got the previous month. I had earlier thought of the 350ZR as next car had to be convertible but I discounted the Z as being too expensive.

Then the next week Neo was STILL going on about the Z :p so I started doing some research and got a brochure from Nissan. Nissan said in the literature that the first batch were sold out and no more would be available until Spring 2006.

That suited me as the 350ZR was costing a good bit more than the 307CC so another year would give me time to save the extra cash. I booked a test drive in the coupe at a local dealer as there were no UK roadsters in the UK at that time. That was in the early part of January 2005.

I took a quick test drive and with any car in the past I have always gone for a few days to think about it - more just to make sure I am doing the right thing and I don't wake up next morning with regrets.

Not this time - a quick test drive and there I was handing over my Switch card for a £2k deposit on a nice January Saturday morning :teeth:

The sales guy said he though he could get me one earlier than next spring so I said get it by end of June and I will take it otherwise I don't want it earlier than next March.

I didn't expect him to phone me 9 weeks later to tell me it was on it's way on the boat :surrender:

So after all that, the 350ZR celebrates it's 1st birthday next Friday in the month that I paid off the credit card which had made up the shortfall :)

well it was either a new 350Z or a second hand tuscan but once you start to find out how much TVR servicing actually costs you don't want one quite so much. the engine tidy up and cleaning of the injection ports has to be dones every 6000 (?) miles and that put me off but it would be truly special to own. the zed gives everyday reliability but the tvr would be something else for that twisty b road.

My boss sold a R43 Skyline GTR for a TVR Tuscan 2. He hardly ever drives the car because its either missfiring or has a flat battery. He says it is purely dangerous to drive in the wet.

Was very interested in the Z though when I popped the demo car into work ;)