so i get "the" brown envelope in the post..

Newbie 350GT

obvisously its our b4stard government asking me for some money

open it up, and it says i had parked illegally on a double red line on a friday evening.

contravention (46 Stopped where prohibited) (Fine 60)

pay up asap and its a bargain! half price..wow.let me get my cheque book out. :yawn:

now im thinking, they cant be serious!!

they send me a picture of the car with a time stamp on it etc so i thought id check it out

got to the same spot i was in and took this picture.

the picture of my car they sent me, was time stamped fri 19.59!

go figure

a$$holes!! :rant:

13122007066.jpg

so i wrote to them and said there has been a mistake.kindly remove that from ur system

2 weeks later another letter, saying no sorry. pay up. apparently they can ASSURE me that i was parked illegally :thumbs: (fine 120)

telling me to wait for the nto if i want to appeal

i ignored it, and now they sent me a reminder.. (fines gone to 180 now)

so iv written back.

but im just wondering. am i being dumb or something? i mean. does that sign not clearly say what it does..

by the way, i was in the car, with my hazards on for about hmm 3-4 mins? cos i was picking someone up

if anyone wants to read the letter.its pasted below.

I recently received a reminder penalty charge letter highlighting the occurrence of a contravention (46 Stopped where prohibited). This is the third time that I am replying to you with a response. Does no one read anything sent to them to the above addressed office?

I am therefore writing to make a formal representation AGAIN on grounds that the traffic order is invalid. I was parked at the area at 8pm with my hazard lights on and the sign prohibits stopping between 7am and 7pm. Had the sign said “No stopping AT ANY TIMEâ€

Keep at em 350GT!

They'll lose that, let it go all the way to court and see them get really embarassed!

:thumbs:

mate, i just dont get it. am i being dumb

or are they just totally thick?

i did some more research and found this on the web

signs206.gif

No stopping at any time

signs207.gif

No stopping during times shown on sign

signs208.gif

Parking is limited at the times for duration shown

signs209.gif

Only loading may take place at the times shown for up to a maximum duration of 20 minutes

does this last one mean. ALL of the above + loading time?

that would mean im truly buggered :scare:

not to mention, there were 5 cars ahead of me..parked. at a bus stop!!!

i have to check that out again

signs209.gif

Only loading may take place at the times shown for up to a maximum duration of 20 minutes

does this last one mean. ALL of the above + loading time?

that would mean im truly buggered :scare:

No... well I read that to say: "For the period 7am - 7pm, NO stopping, *except* for loading, which may [in this period] only happen between 10am and 4pm". The text says nothing about stopping *after* 7pm (e.g. 7pm - 7am), and by implication, stopping is, in that period, not enterly prohibited as nothing is specified. That's my take anyway. (They make a statment about 7am-7pm, and then notarise an exception for loading, in this period. They make no statement about the remainder of a 24h cycle.)

So I still think they'll end up with egg on their face if you go to court. (But then, I could very well be wrong... You know what beaurocrats are like.)

I would probably reply one more time, pointing out the anomaly in as much excruciatingly grim detail as you can, and repeating it several times (to hopefully hammer it through their skull), possibly including pointing out that the notice makes no statement about the period after 7pm.

No... well I read that to say: "For the period 7am - 7pm, NO stopping, *except* for loading, which may [in this period] only happen between 10am and 4pm". The text says nothing about stopping *after* 7pm (e.g. 7pm - 7am), and by implication, stopping is, in that period, not enterly prohibited as nothing is specified. That's my take anyway. (They make a statment about 7am-7pm, and then notarise an exception for loading, in this period. They make no statement about the remainder of a 24h cycle.)

So I still think they'll end up with egg on their face if you go to court. (But then, I could very well be wrong... You know what beaurocrats are like.)

I would probably reply one more time, pointing out the anomaly in as much excruciatingly grim detail as you can, and repeating it several times (to hopefully hammer it through their skull), possibly including pointing out that the notice makes no statement about the period after 7pm.

couldnt put it better myself brother man

this is what i said to them the second time

" am therefore writing to make a formal representation AGAIN on grounds that the traffic order is invalid. I was parked at the area at 8pm with my hazard lights on and the sign prohibits stopping between 7am and 7pm. Had the sign said “No stopping AT ANY TIMEâ€

I'd say there is a confliction as at the top of the first post you said it was a double red line.....you can never stop on these period but to be honest I would say that the sign is a contradiction to the double red lines. There isn't a joining between the two lines where or near to where you were parked is there?

Did a traffic warden take the picture? :dry:

it's the way they go about things that really winds me up, they're meant to be a public service but they treat us like scum. rather than a letter trying to explain to you why your parking was illegal and going from there, they just bully and threaten, constantly increasing the amount of money owed and eventually will probably pass it to bailiffs who don't even know anything about the debts they're collecting. i don't know why as a country we put up with this type of treatment :angry:

Guest prescience

I also believe you are 100% in the right. These signs are very common in London and the interpretation that you cannot stop anytime between 7am-7pm except if you are unloading in the 10am-4pm time slot is spot on. Outside those times, there are no restrictions as I understand it unless there is another sign locally (which is very unlikely).

For future reference, you might refer to what you did as 'stopping' as you were dropping off for only 3 or 4 minutes as there may be a different definition between 'stopping' (which implies you remain with the car) or 'parking' which implies that you don't. However in this instance it's irrelevant.

The only worry was that the time index was for GMT not BST (due to recent clock change) but a) it would actually work in your favour in this case and B) they wouldn't have any case at all if the time was wrong anyway.

Keep fighting and you'll be right in the end but there is no compensation for your time, effort and worry at the end of it is there :thumbdown:

I'd say there is a confliction as at the top of the first post you said it was a double red line.....you can never stop on these period but to be honest I would say that the sign is a contradiction to the double red lines. There isn't a joining between the two lines where or near to where you were parked is there?

Did a traffic warden take the picture? :dry:

no it was taken by a cctv camera

i know u cant park at double red.. but thats when it say no stopping at anytime. just as u noticed.the sign says otherwise

it's the way they go about things that really winds me up, they're meant to be a public service but they treat us like scum. rather than a letter trying to explain to you why your parking was illegal and going from there, they just bully and threaten, constantly increasing the amount of money owed and eventually will probably pass it to bailiffs who don't even know anything about the debts they're collecting. i don't know why as a country we put up with this type of treatment :angry:

Apparently these parking fines are for the SAFETY of the public? lol

a$$munches

one time my car went a bit weird so i put the hazards on and pulled into a bus lane for 2 mins

got a fine.. so i argued and said "would u rather i was in the middle of the road and cause a traffic and safety issue rather than inconvenience a bus lane which was empty anyway"

reply was "yes. u are not allowed in bus lanes"

next time im gonna take a picture of a bus and send it to them when its in MY lane!! how many buses do u see in thier own "bus lane" apart from when stopping

I also believe you are 100% in the right. These signs are very common in London and the interpretation that you cannot stop anytime between 7am-7pm except if you are unloading in the 10am-4pm time slot is spot on. Outside those times, there are no restrictions as I understand it unless there is another sign locally (which is very unlikely).

For future reference, you might refer to what you did as 'stopping' as you were dropping off for only 3 or 4 minutes as there may be a different definition between 'stopping' (which implies you remain with the car) or 'parking' which implies that you don't. However in this instance it's irrelevant.

The only worry was that the time index was for GMT not BST (due to recent clock change) but a) it would actually work in your favour in this case and B) they wouldn't have any case at all if the time was wrong anyway.

Keep fighting and you'll be right in the end but there is no compensation for your time, effort and worry at the end of it is there :thumbdown:

thanks for the reassurance bro

• 2 weeks later...

If I have understood this correctly they have said you were on a double red? ... if this is the case then the sign doesn't match the road markings according to your diagrams.

If they are saying you are on a double red, they may assume (regardless of the photo you have sent as they are idiots) that the sign is marked "No stopping at anytime" ... hence the fine.

If I have understood this correctly they have said you were on a double red? ... if this is the case then the sign doesn't match the road markings according to your diagrams.

If they are saying you are on a double red, they may assume (regardless of the photo you have sent as they are idiots) that the sign is marked "No stopping at anytime" ... hence the fine.

yeah...

they cant "Assume"

iv written to them twice, the least they can do is verify what signs they have on what road

This looks like being fun :)

Sounds like you will be taking the two letters, photographs of the sign and their automaton responses to court with you and making some council bod look a bit of a tit.

When and where is it - can people come along and watch? Id love to see a council made to look stupid:)