Help: New Lower Control Arms Wont Fit (Hole Too Big)

jktitties

So the bushings went on the front lower control arms and banana arms, so I bought a new set of both since it’s about the same price as sourcing and replacing the bushings in a shop. 

The banana arms went in without a problem, but the garage noticed the hole in the aftermarket control arms was bigger than the hole in the OEM control arm. This is the section which is without its own bushing. 

They concluded it would not be save to install the part due to how different the holes were and the risk it could cause with vibration etc. 

I’ve attached photos of the OEM vs the aftermarket one which is CNC billet. The seller has sold hundreds without any bad reviews so I didn’t understand why mine didn’t fit. 

When i researched online I saw people selling “lower control arm ball joints” but I wasn’t sure if this would help since the OEM piece is cast with a smaller hole. I have a video too I can try attach if anyone wants to see.

I already searched through the threads, plenty of information on the 2 bushings on each of these arms but nothing on the hole diameter. Garage smashed the old ones open so can’t reuse them. 

I’m looking to understand why what I have doesn’t fit as opposed to buying another thing straight away. Hopefully I can make it work. But if I have to then I have to, Ive sourced some LCA with the ball for £130 new on Ebay. 

thanks for your help! 

9EC5676C-E02F-4257-9EA8-5AB53E6C7DF3.png

4C2FD491-914E-451B-9095-6FF641483E5F.png

6C62B5DB-1A96-4019-8577-7D84BF07DDC6.jpeg

I think your problem is that there are 2 sizes of that lower ball joint but I'm not sure why or when they change so I don't know if it's a year thing or a JDM thing.

I'd refer to @ZMANALEX maybe drop him a PM as he will most likely know if I'm right and be able to quote the part numbers without using the book :lol:

Hope you get it sorted :thumbs:

• Like 1

Keyser is correct as there are 2 types of arms, ball joints and seating cones.

What you require is a pair of arms that are compatible with your original lower ball joint and seating cone.

Or swop out the lower ball joint and seating cone to ones that are compatible with your new arms.

The difference on the ball joint is the size of the stud which will either be 14 or 16mm.

• Like 1

That’s amazing thank you very much! I appreciate that a lot, I had no idea about those differences. I will have a look online and try to find either a new set of arms that have 14mm. If not I’ll try get a replacement part for the ball joint. Thanks a lot I really appreciate that and will post updates as I go along.

2 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

Just to be clear it is the threaded part of the BJ that will be either 14/16mm.

Thank you. I'm just going to go ahead and order a new seat of control arms and return the new ones I got. I'll ask the seller to confirm they're 14mm instead of the 16mm I have now. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. Was lost with that one. 

4 hours ago, Keyser said:

I think your problem is that there are 2 sizes of that lower ball joint but I'm not sure why or when they change so I don't know if it's a year thing or a JDM thing.

I'd refer to @ZMANALEX maybe drop him a PM as he will most likely know if I'm right and be able to quote the part numbers without using the book :lol:

Hope you get it sorted :thumbs:

thank you for this heads up man, was super helpful! Yes typical JDM lol this is the first I've heard of this!