building advice

nixy

Any budding builders/handy men amongst you?

I have a double garage but it has two single doors with a brick pillar inbetween. I want to change the doors to one large roller door. There is already an RSJ across running right across the width of the whole garage. I've found a great website that sell these doors for half of what I would expect to pay but how complicated/expensive do you think the actual work involved would be? The two existing doors are seven feet wide each and the middle brick part is about two and a half feet. The new door would probably by fourteen feet wide (could get 16 but more expensive) and roller doors don't need a frame. This means some brick work will need building up at each side I think.

ah cheers. I want to be able to drive my car into the middle of the garage so I can be an anorak and still polish it on rainy days and do other stuff. You'll understand that with your freaky tin collection! ;)

you'd have to check with plans to make sure the RSJ goes the full width and the centre brickwork isnt supporting anything!! if not it can be just taken down! then at the outer edge just built the brickwork into the existing RSJ and to match the new width of the doors by 'toothing' in to the existing brickwork :thumbs:

I've only had a quick look at the RSJ and it seems to go the full width above the garage doors and above the centre pillar. I've got a guy coming next week to knock my kitchen wall down so I'll ask him what he thinks. Thanks for the tips doesn't sound to horrendous to do. Now just got to persuade my hubbie to let me have it done........................

I've only had a quick look at the RSJ and it seems to go the full width above the garage doors and above the centre pillar. I've got a guy coming next week to knock my kitchen wall down so I'll ask him what he thinks. Thanks for the tips doesn't sound to horrendous to do. Now just got to persuade my hubbie to let me have it done........................

I'm sure you will think of something Nixy ;)

If you take a couple of pics showing where the RSJ rests on one of the end support walls and another where it 'rests' on the central pillar and let me have the width, height and span dimensions of the RSJ, I'll run it past a structural engineer friend of mine to see what he thinks. :thumbs: