Muddy Detail: Nissan 350z detail (shire350z)

Muddy

I was contacted by James regarding a detail on his Nissan 350Z in GM in the run up to the ISTS show at Donington Park.

After a viewing of the car and a discussion on what to do it was decided that we'd go for full exterior & interior detail with

Paint correction using DoDo Juice wax.

Anyway.......

Before pictures:

nissan_350z_silver1.jpg

nissan_350z_silver2.jpg

nissan_350z_silver3.jpg

nissan_350z_silver4.jpg

nissan_350z_silver5.jpg

nissan_350z_silver6.jpg

nissan_350z_silver7.jpg

The wheels sprayed with Megs APC with the inside rim being agitated with an EZ- Detail wheel brush and the front of the wheel being washed with

a swissvax wheel brush and microfibre mitt.

nissan_350z_silver8.jpg

nissan_350z_silver9.jpg

The body was then treated to some foam via the AB foam lance an left to dwell, the arches pressure washed and sprayed with Megs Super Degreaser and then

cleaned by hand with a lambswool mitt.

nissan_350z_silver10.jpg

nissan_350z_silver11.jpg

nissan_350z_silver12.jpg

The body was then rinsed and washed using a lambswool mitt and the 2 bucket method.

nissan_350z_silver13.jpg

It was all then rinsed and dried with a Poorboys Waffle weave towel and a leaf blower was used to get the water out of all knooks and crannies.

The car on first inspection looked very clean indeed but on closer inspection the paint was rough to the touch (Something James was concerned about) and was covered in black/brown tar spots. After claying which turned out to be a nightmare due to the high content of contaminent. I concluded that the previous owner must have parked the car near a metal/iron fabrication yard.

I used yellow CYC poly clay with Megs last touch as lube and any remaining large bits of tar were then removed with AB tar remover.

nissan_350z_silver14.jpg

Taped up and ready to go:

nissan_350z_silver15.jpg

The paint typically showed normal levels of paint thickness of around 110-130, so there were no areas to be concerned about.

Thankfully the sun came out on occassions so I could see the extent of the swirls as the halogens weren't offering any help in this department, being GM/silver it's difficult to pick up swirls via the halpgens in daylight (Better inside for this)

So tested a panel with various combo's and finally came to a very good degree of correction using an orange waffles cut pad with menzerna 85RD3.02, x2 passes.

And a final pass to refine and finish off each panel with a 3M blue waffle pad with 3M Ultrafina SE.

This gave a crisp sharp finish and removed any holograms that had crept in with the cut pad.

This correction removed what swirls where there and the majority of the RDS, but there where a lot RDS 9random deep scratcheas) still remaining.

All done with the metabo Rotary.

Some swirls

nissan_350z_silver16.jpg

Before:

nissan_350z_silver17.jpg

After:

nissan_350z_silver18.jpg

Before:

nissan_350z_silver19.jpg

After:

nissan_350z_silver20.jpg

Today's detail was a Dodo Juice detail so we opted for a hard wax to begin with in the knowledge that James would continue a good waxing technique with the same wax from Dodo Juice.

I opted for "Hard Candy"

So after an IPA wipe down with an MF I applied the Hardy Candy with a foam applicator and buffed off with a pure Terry towel buffing cloth. This gave an outstanding gloss to the paint.

A fantastic finish was achieved, I recon approx 90% correction was achieved on the day with the stubbern few RDS's remaining.

The rest of the car was treated to the following:

Trim - Poorboys Trim restorer.

Tyres - Presoak with Megs Hyper dressing and finished with Autoglym's Instant Tyre dressing.

Glass - AG glass polish

Wheels - Chemical Guys Wheel Sealant

The engine bay was given a quick clean as well as the interior

Total Detail time: Started at 08:00hrs finished at 20:30hrs = 12.5hours.

Finished shots:

nissan_350z_silver21.jpg

nissan_350z_silver22.jpg

nissan_350z_silver23.jpg

nissan_350z_silver24.jpg

nissan_350z_silver25.jpg

nissan_350z_silver26.jpg

nissan_350z_silver27.jpg

nissan_350z_silver28.jpg

nissan_350z_silver29.jpg

nissan_350z_silver30.jpg

nissan_350z_silver31.jpg

nissan_350z_silver32.jpg

nissan_350z_silver33.jpg

nissan_350z_silver34.jpg

nissan_350z_silver35.jpg

nissan_350z_silver36.jpg

nissan_350z_silver37.jpg

nissan_350z_silver38.jpg

Thanks for reading

Craig

i know phil!!!! did you manage to get the bolts, brackets, stickers etc in the post today?!give me call saturday to remind me about the hoses or ill more than likely forget!!! :thumbs:

cheers again craig and guys he did a great job well worth the money transformed the car!!!! get him booked!!!

i will have the Poorboys Trim restorer off you aswell craig thanks!!! (iv nearly spent as much on products) :lol: