Changing coolant

Kryptek49

Hi, I'm going to flush the coolant on my HR and the old stuff is pink.  From checking on the forum the correct stuff to use is the Nissan L248: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Nissan-L248-Premix-Engine-Coolant-Antifreeze-5-Litres-KE90299945-/162002807288?oid=150939424104 which is green.

Can I just empty the old and pour in the new, or is the change in colour significant? I've not done coolant before so this is a new one to me - so sorry for the stupid questions!

Thanks

I think you have to empty something else under the engine as well and flush it all through, then re empty the things at the bottom, I did my coolant and had a 5L air bubble! Is very hard to bleed so got someone to  vacuum it in

1 hour ago, MattRwebB said:

I think you have to empty something else under the engine as well and flush it all through, then re empty the things at the bottom, I did my coolant and had a 5L air bubble! Is very hard to bleed so got someone to  vacuum it in

Thanks, from searching the forum most people only drain the radiator and don't bother with the other bit as it causes a lot of air bubbles and takes hours to resolve.

If I'm not draining it properly I take it I can't just swap the fluid though as it's a different colour?

You shouldn't mix coolants of different types and different colour signifies different coolant type.  So you will be better off draining everything and then having it flushed, then refilling with the recommended coolant.

Here's the forum guide for refilling: 

I read somewhere that the different colours are for different types of system as in metal type and components so you meed to stick with what the manufacturer recommends. Its green I have in my HR last done by @MITZ@CougarStore and as stated above is the oem nissan fluid. 

Sounds like someone in past has put red stuff in prob honest mistake but your best completely flushing and re-filling for peace of mind. 

• Thanks 1

That should be true, however some manufacturers went off piste and starting putting either colour in their mixture regardless of whether it was IAT or OAT, which was spectacularly unhelpful! Best thing really is to always flush fully unless you know exactly what's in there, as you say Glen. :) 

16 hours ago, G1en@waxandshine said:

I read somewhere that the different colours are for different types of system as in metal type and components so you meed to stick with what the manufacturer recommends. Its green I have in my HR last done by @MITZ@CougarStore and as stated above is the oem nissan fluid. 

Sounds like someone in past has put red stuff in prob honest mistake but your best completely flushing and re-filling for peace of mind. 

Thanks, 

I have absolutely no idea how to drain the fluid though, the link posted above seems very vague.

I'll do some more browsing tonight and see if I can suss it out.

3 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

If that is the case, then you won't be capable of bleeding, so best to get a pro to do it all for you. :thumbs:

I like to learn, I just haven't done coolant before! It seems fairly simple, old stuff out, flush it, new stuff in.  I'll get there :)