What tyres ???

Dave6188

Well the time has almost come for new rubber, currently sits on Avon ZZ5 all round which came with the car. 

So I'm in two minds what to go for as I've seen good reviews for both tyres that I have in mind so I guess it's down to a bit of advice now from you guys. 

Stock Rays 245, 45, 18 rears and 225, 45, 18 fronts. The car is used daily for commuting and on the odd occasion taken for a blast on back roads. 

So first choice would be MPS4, good all round tyre according to reviews from several different magazines, always top of the class and cost £608 fitted, balanced and nitrogen filled. 

Second choice which I have seen awesome reviews on are the Yokohama AD08R, cost £661 fitted, balanced and nitrogen filled. 

Another thing does filling with nitrogen really make any difference ? 

Not sure what to go for and I'm hoping either choice will be better than the current Avon's which in my opinion are garbage, they break loose very easily on the rear. I want good grip in all conditions ideally. 

Opinions welcome, TIA. 

If the car is a daily, I wouldn't opt for the Yoko's as they're predominantly used for spirited/track driving and even though the dry grip is insane, they wouldn't be an all round balanced tyre for daily driving, taking into consideration wear due to the soft compound etc.

I was going to go for the Michelin's but picked up the Goodyear Eagle F1s for £450 all round including fitting, so was a no brainer as money was a factor with me, or I would have probably gone Michilin. But now had them over a year and would highly recommend them :thumbs:

People who have driven a Z on MPSS struggled to tell the difference on the road, Michilin's may wear slightly better and may be better in the wet. But I wouldn't be pushing a 300bhp RWD car in the wet anyway :)

On 16/06/2018 at 15:07, reeceybeaney said:

If the car is a daily, I wouldn't opt for the Yoko's as they're predominantly used for spirited/track driving and even though the dry grip is insane, they wouldn't be an all round balanced tyre for daily driving, taking into consideration wear due to the soft compound etc.

I was going to go for the Michelin's but picked up the Goodyear Eagle F1s for £450 all round including fitting, so was a no brainer as money was a factor with me, or I would have probably gone Michilin. But now had them over a year and would highly recommend them :thumbs:

People who have driven a Z on MPSS struggled to tell the difference on the road, Michilin's may wear slightly better and may be better in the wet. But I wouldn't be pushing a 300bhp RWD car in the wet anyway :)

I’d second the Eagle F1s. Moved to them from RE050s a few months ago and the grip is much better. 

The sidewalls feel noticeably softer and there’s definitely a little more roll in them when cornering, but it feels very progressive. 

Haven’t tried the Michelin, but very satisfied with the Goodyear’s given the price point. 

I find the Eagle F1s to be great in the dry but sketchy as hell in the wet, and that was on a 4WD car too. I binned off a perfectly decent set of them to move back to RE070, which are bizarrely more consistent in the wet than the EF1s. 

But the answer is MPS4. Head and shoulders above everything right now, barring MPS4S but you can’t get those in 18”s. Massively worth the extra cash, but don’t bother with nitrogen filling unless it’s free. 

• Like 1

Finally bit the bullet and purchased a full set of MPS4's, managed to get a full set for £550.94 because Blackcircles had an extra 10% off Michelin tyres, get fitted this Saturday can't wait to finally see what all the hype has been about ! 

• Like 2

Finally got the MPS4's on yesterday, noticed immediately that road noise was reduced greatly, like a huge amount, seems really quiet inside the cabin now, next thing I noticed was the lack of rolling resistance when I rolled off the throttle, feels like there is less body roll aswell, car still slid when I planted it but I've only done 5 miles on them upto now so they need scrubbing in properly.

First impressions are very good though, noticed they say reinforced on the side wall, does that make any difference at all ? 

Turns out I knew one of the guys who worked at ATS so they filled all of the tyres up with Nitrogen for free which was a bonus I guess. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally took the Z out for a proper 200 mile + blast on a mixture of roads and conditions across the North Yorkshire Moors, tyres are honestly the best thing I have bought for the car period, the difference is unreal, turned it from what felt like a heavy, lazy GT car to what now feels like a proper sports car that is poised and ready for whatever you can through at it. 

Kind of re-sparked my love for the car again as I felt like I was getting a bit bored of it. Would highly recommend the MPS4's to anyone that's in the market for new tyres ! 

• Like 1