HELP: Ferodo DS2500 Pads

RS8055

Hi guys,

So the time came to change my brake pads last week. Further to some recommendation I purchased a set of Ferodo DS2500 brake pads for the Brembo application. I must also note that I am running a stock OEM brake set up. When fitting the pads, I decided to replace the front discs at the same time. I completed the bedding in process correctly, and yet I am experiencing two problems:

1. When applying light braking at speeds of 65-70mph, the steering wheel is vibrating and I can feel some slight feedback through the brake peddle.

2. When in slow traffic, to say the brakes are screeching is an understatement! Under low speed braking (smoothly) as in traffic, it is quite literally unbearable. I am honestly embarrassed to be seen driving the car when it is making such a ridiculously loud squeal!

Does anyone know what could be causing this, as I had been recommended that these were a very good overall everyday pad for the car.

Thanks for the help.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

DS2500 are terribly dusty, not my favourite choice but a bit late now.

1. Re-do the bedding process several times until it clears off any vibrations, providing that all bolts and nuts are properly done, see here: http://torqen.uk/docs/TORQEN-brake-bedding-web.pdf

2. Apply some copper grease on the back of the pads. Ensure caliper is spotlessly clean with proper free movement of pistons, if possible fit new hardware, eg StopTech pads come with new hardware kits. You can also chamfer the edge of the pads if that doesn't work.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I have taken a look into the problem a bit further and have done some reading. A few friends of mine that work as mechanics have advised me that the DS2500 pads are too hard of a compound for my stock OEM brake discs. The reason for the horrendously loud noise being that these pads are intended to be used under very high temperatures, an simply driving the car through slow moving traffic will be causing the noise due to the discs being far too cold to grip the pads appropriately.

As for the vibrations through the steering wheel, the discs I fitted were my mates old OEM discs that were barely used. It seems that one of them may be warped. Would that be a probable cause for the vibrations too?

Solution: I am seriously considering buying 2 new front OEM discs to ensure they are straight and correct. I would just like some good advice on a full set of pads that work well with OEM discs and will not make any noise??

Thanks again

32 minutes ago, RS8055 said:

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I have taken a look into the problem a bit further and have done some reading. A few friends of mine that work as mechanics have advised me that the DS2500 pads are too hard of a compound for my stock OEM brake discs. The reason for the horrendously loud noise being that these pads are intended to be used under very high temperatures, an simply driving the car through slow moving traffic will be causing the noise due to the discs being far too cold to grip the pads appropriately.

As for the vibrations through the steering wheel, the discs I fitted were my mates old OEM discs that were barely used. It seems that one of them may be warped. Would that be a probable cause for the vibrations too?

I sometimes wonder where these "mechanics" did their training or how so many people can work on toy car maintenance :lol:;)

DS2500 are not an extreme pad by any means, and are generally recommended by every message board as an upgrade for fast road/occasional track use.  I, and a lot of people here have used much more aggressive brake pads without any problems with squeaking, cold use or disc damage, if they are making noise then Id bet they havent been fitted properly, try what the guys have suggested up there. 

Discs dont warp either. They can pick up brake pad deposits that can create vibration under braking which can be sorted out by skimming the faces but its possible this might also be an effect of having the pads fitted wrongly as well, or something else entirely. 

Get the pads refitted with shims and coppergrease and re-bed them then see where youre at, FWIW the Brembo setup on the 350 is superb when its all working right :)

Ryan,

What docwra has said ^^^^

But you already know that as I have spent considerable time answering your PMs, which you appear to have ignored.

Copy of my last PM below:

Ryan,

I am basing my reply on that you have also replaced the discs.

Firstly, I am assuming that you do not have a slight wheel balance issue at 70mph and that the brake application is not highlighting the vibes.

I am aware what it states on the box but I have fitted hundreds of DS2500 pads to road cars and had no issues, except some complaints about brake dust.

When fitting new brake discs, then all faces including the hub, both sides of the disc and the inside face of the wheel must be spotless and true. If this is not meticulously carried out then DTV will develop causing brake vibrations.

No amount of bedding in will cure DTV.

If all the above is good then I would bed in again, see guide below.

Regarding brake squeal, again the caliper housing which holds the pads must be spotless.

The pistons must all be free and the upper and lower sliders must be in good shape.

Anti-squeal shims must be fitted to all pads. 

Finally, a good quality anti-squeal copa slip greaze must be applied to the rear of the pads.

As I said previously, this is certainly a fitment issue.

image.png.692491d8789baa8dfcc3b81e26267b33.png

Hi Alex,

In fact, I did read your response and did not ignore it as you mentioned above.

Is what you are saying that the DS2500 pads do not come with shims attached? My previous pads were Brembos and these seemingly had no issues. If I need to purchase shims, where would I get my hands on some?

You will get the shims from the same place as you bought the pads: CMS.

You probably had no issues before, because the old pads and rotors would have been fitted properly.

Correct, DS2500 do not come with anti-squeal shims.

• 1 month later...

I'm running DS2500 compound pads with Kinetix dimpled & grooved discs with the Brembo GT setup... Zero issues with squeal or "steering vibration"... Correctly fitted pads (i.e scrupulously cleaned caliper etc before replacement) don't squeal albeit I do agree that you do get a fair amount of brake dust from the Ferodo's... Chances are you have out of balance wheels/tyres &/or worn suspension points imo...