Remote Engine Start

RobD7

Am so fed up with getting into a freezing cold car that I've decided when my 350z arrives in June (having to wait that long as it's new in white!) I must get remote start.

Has anyone on here got remote start on their 350? If so what have they gone for and why? I know clifford do it although i'm not sure I can buy it on its own, i presume I need a Clifford alarm to go with it. Although do correct me if I'm wrong as Clifford are my preferred make!

Any info greatly appreciated! :teeth:

Thanks

Indeed, you will need the full Clifford setup as the Intellistart is an add on to the brain and has to be setup on the keyfob. I know there were initial complications with the Z as you have to depress the clutch to start the car but I believe these have been resolved now. :)

always leave my car in gear when parked up so impossible to use remote start and also you need to engage the clutch pedal to start the car anyway. I assume clifford must rip out this part of the nissan electronics

Dipping the cluch simply presses a switch behind the pedal so it wouldnt be hard to have it wired to a relay that triggers it when the alarm wants to start the engine. Or remove the switch so the car always thinks the cluch is depressed but that mught be dodgy.

Either way I leave my car in gear, and I have never seen a car heat up much on a drive way so I wouldnt have it installed :)

Having had it on one of my cars if I could have it without the expense I would have it straight away. In the winter months it is THE best thing if you store you car outside.

While your making your cup of tea in the morning fire up the car and 5 minutes later you get in, the seats are warm, the windows demisted and a much nice driving experience.

That said the one thing I would really really want on a car is total window closure - much more useful but a fraction of the cost...on most cars but not the Z

Guest prescience
Are there any extra insurance implications with remote start?

Yes, you won't be covered if it gets nicked whilst 'warming up' :)

Interesting ..

So, if you car was nicked in any situation AND you had remote start installed the onus would most likely be on you to prove to the insurance company it wasn't in that mode - because for sure, they'd try to wriggle

I think your being a bit paranoid. If the car was nicked then I am 99.9% sure the insurance company would make the normal investigations...which is not much.. and then payout. They are only going to bother starting to dig if there is a lot of money at stake which the 350z is not

Some interesting stuff, thanks.

I think I'll have a look at the prices as the thought of getting into a warm car on a cold morning is great! I know they warm up quick but even 6 minutes is awful when it's freezing!

Having said that, the car arrives for the Summer so I suppose I don't need to be hasty!

Be aware that to get it to remote start you need to prime the system i.e. you can't just decide one morning to remote start it.

To prime it when you park up you have to tell it to go into remote start mode which keeps the engine running while you get out. You lock the doors and then the engine will stop. This way the alarm knows that the car is out of gear and will be safe to remote start.

[There are some dodgy kits which are designed for automatics that don't have this but stear well clear of them on a manual car]

I think your being a bit paranoid. If the car was nicked then I am 99.9% sure the insurance company would make the normal investigations...which is not much.. and then payout. They are only going to bother starting to dig if there is a lot of money at stake which the 350z is not

Insurance companies employ people specifically to find a way to NOT pay out on claims. A 350z at even £18k is a lot of money compared to £0 if they can get away with it. Even though the doors lock with this system I'd be very sceptical as to whether the insurance company will play ball. :headhurt:

For the sake of six minutes cold bum time, i'd leave it alone........... :blush:

Remote start came standard on my US spec 350z. Although its not a nessecity... i love it and use it all the time. When the car is started remotely the doors are locked and if you step on the gas without inserting the key it shuts off leaving the alarm armed.

Am glad I posted this as I hadn't even considered the insurance problems! Aside from warming the car, it does look kind of cool to start it as you're walking over to it, say in a car park! Still re the insurance I'm slightly hesitant in persuing this idea... Thanks for your thoughts though guys... :D

• 3 weeks later...
Am glad I posted this as I hadn't even considered the insurance problems! Aside from warming the car, it does look kind of cool to start it as you're walking over to it, say in a car park! Still re the insurance I'm slightly hesitant in persuing this idea... Thanks for your thoughts though guys... :D

Probably a bit late to reply to this, Ive got a Clifford engine start system installed my Z, however, you need an alarm system (also a clifford arrow 5.1) in order for the engine start facility, tbh im well happy with it, wake up, push a button, get ready and the cars nice and warm, even better if the heated seats are on.

As for priming the system, just keep it sweet with the guy who installs it & he'll make sure you dont have to prime the system, altho its always down to you to make sure the cars not in gear or it'll stall and jump a lil ahead. After remote starting the car, you need to unlock the doors and jump in, insert the key, turn and step on the brakes to disarm the anti-theft system otherwise the engine will shut down and your alarm may go off.

My insurance company knows about the alarm and remote start system, if the alarm system itself is thatcham approved or not doesnt matter cuz the remote start system isnt approved either, but trying to steal the car while the engine is remote started is almost impossible because your alarm system would still be active till you disarm it yourself when getting in the car.

Hope this helped.

As for priming the system, just keep it sweet with the guy who installs it & he'll make sure you dont have to prime the system, altho its always down to you to make sure the cars not in gear or it'll stall and jump a lil ahead. After remote starting the car, you need to unlock the doors and jump in, insert the key, turn and step on the brakes to disarm the anti-theft system otherwise the engine will shut down and your alarm may go off.

If a clifford installer will install it such that it does not need to be primed they deserve to be shot IMO and their clifford certification removed.

If you by accident knock the remote start button and your car is in gear you could easily hit someone with the car if its in a general car park etc. This could land yourself with a BIG bill as the insurance company will not touch it.

If a clifford installer will install it such that it does not need to be primed they deserve to be shot IMO and their clifford certification removed.

If you by accident knock the remote start button and your car is in gear you could easily hit someone with the car if its in a general car park etc. This could land yourself with a BIG bill as the insurance company will not touch it.

again, its at your own risk, mate. If you're the only guy who drives your z, and you never leave it in gear, then its worth it. Anybody who does leave it in gear, id advise always keeping with the priming procedure for everyones safety including your own.

this would be great for us lifeboat bods, the thought of havinga warm car to get into when you get a shout at 4 in the morning, and also not running the risk of ragging it from cold.

however it has happened in the past that some hefty damage has been done by the dodgy installs of these units.

Regards.

Nathan@Sumopower

Jeez, where do you lot all live - the Artic circle? :p:lol:

Surely even the coldest temperatures are ok to suffer for a sparse minute until the heated seat warms up! :rolleyes:

No south of Watford Gap :lol: