Heat help!

TT350

Hi.

So, I've been to the garage so many times now with overheating.

Basically, the heaters don't blow hot air unless I'm at 3krpms or over and in traffic, it overheats quite quickly.

The garage is painfully slow at doing anything. It'll take him a fortnight to even get round to it, meanwhile, I can't get to work.

He says there's no ait trapped, no leaks, thermostat was replaced, fans are ok and he says the water pump is part of the engine so can't fail. Coolant level is fine.

What's going on? I wish most of you technical guys weren't down south and could take a look!!

Firstly the water pump is mechanical and chain driven and can fail and can be replaced.

Back flush the heater matrix and the radiator and then bleed properly.

I would guess that you may have a blockage or more likely an air lock.

If your tech guy tells you that the water pump is part of the engine and can not fail, then I would not believe a word that he says about the other stuff.

See below for bleed procedure:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Firstly the water pump is mechanical and chain driven and can fail and can be replaced.

Back flush the heater matrix and the radiator and then bleed properly.

I would guess that you may have a blockage or more likely an air lock.

If your tech guy tells you that the water pump is part of the engine and can not fail, then I would not believe a word that he says about the other stuff.

See below for bleed procedure:

I agree on all points and an air lock seems most likely these things are a pig to bleed

:)

Sorted it today. I didn't follow the guide more, used intuition and patience.

Used the bleed valve and just watched the coolant after pouring it in and seemingly looking full but then after a minute it suddenly dropped. Did this quite a few times and 5L of coolant/water mixture later it finally stayed full. No air bubbles. 

Unfortunately because of the TT conversion, I cant find the reservoir lol which may have made it easier.

Anyway I'm surprised the garage couldn't get on top of this issue. Took me 30 mins.

35 minutes ago, TT350 said:

Sorted it today. I didn't follow the guide more, used intuition and patience.

Used the bleed valve and just watched the coolant after pouring it in and seemingly looking full but then after a minute it suddenly dropped. Did this quite a few times and 5L of coolant/water mixture later it finally stayed full. No air bubbles. 

Unfortunately because of the TT conversion, I cant find the reservoir lol which may have made it easier.

Anyway I'm surprised the garage couldn't get on top of this issue. Took me 30 mins.

30 min is good took me hours :lol:

:)

So my TT has a special cooling setup with an extra Carbing coolant reservoir at the highest point of the engine - ie by the firewall. 

Previous owner clearly had the same problem as you after TT conversion as lots of paperwork about bleeding/overheating issues but since this has been installed it’s perfect. I’ll dig out a diagram for you. 

Lol some people just aren't that adventurous with this kind of automotive thing.

Give me a house and I can renovate it top to bottom.

Anyway, I found it mounted inside the wing. 

It's fixed and holding. Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

Got a pic?

On 21/03/2018 at 18:12, TT350 said:

Lol some people just aren't that adventurous with this kind of automotive thing.

Give me a house and I can renovate it top to bottom.

Anyway, I found it mounted inside the wing. 

It's fixed and holding. Thanks guys.