Carbon Fibre Hydrodipped Bonnet

eroll_350z

Hydro dipping is quite expensive, and to dip something that size, cannot be many businesses around that have a tank big/deep enough! 

I got a quote to dip two small parts of my dashboard which is about 1/20th the size of a bonnet and was quoted over £100.

8 minutes ago, coldel said:

Hydro dipping is quite expensive, and to dip something that size, cannot be many businesses around that have a tank big/deep enough! 

I got a quote to dip two small parts of my dashboard which is about 1/20th the size of a bonnet and was quoted over £100.

Cheers Col! So even if I was to find a place that can do it, I can expect the price to be pretty high then. What about wrapping? Apologies for my ignorance but I'm a bit of a noobie when it comes to this type of stuff! Surely wrapping could be a bit cheaper and easier to do?

Wrapping would be easier and MUCH cheaper.

We had the bonnet on our old Evo V carbon dipped years ago. It was a new company local to us at the time and i think they charged maybe £150 (which was way over half price due to them being a new company). Due to the size of the bonnet they had to dip it in 2 halves, which is fine but there was a very slight miss match in the carbon pattern if you looked close enough. Otherwise it looked great :D

7 minutes ago, mattross1313 said:

Wrapping would be easier and MUCH cheaper.

We had the bonnet on our old Evo V carbon dipped years ago. It was a new company local to us at the time and i think they charged maybe £150 (which was way over half price due to them being a new company). Due to the size of the bonnet they had to dip it in 2 halves, which is fine but there was a very slight miss match in the carbon pattern if you looked close enough. Otherwise it looked great :D

I suppose you can't grumble for that price considering what the prices are today, the 2 halves would have bothered the hell out of me though! 

So for just simply easiness, looks like it will be wrapping then. Just done a quick check online and shows bonnet wrapping averages from £125, I'm assuming it will be a bit more expensive because I want a carbon wrap.

Do you know of anyone who has had it done?? I'm hoping someone will chime in and give me an insight and some recommendations. 

Edited by eroll_350z
Price was wrong, edited from 150 to 125

Wrapping would be the chosen way forwards I think. Zippypooz is a member on here did my Celica roof he is down a little way past Gatwick. You could have a go yourself but its not as easy as it looks! Also wraps need to be properly cured otherwise they will lift very quickly. Also check the brand of the vinyl, quality differs by some way good brands are 3M and Avery for instance. Make sure if you go that route you find out what brand is going on.

4 minutes ago, coldel said:

Wrapping would be the chosen way forwards I think. Zippypooz is a member on here did my Celica roof he is down a little way past Gatwick. You could have a go yourself but its not as easy as it looks! Also wraps need to be properly cured otherwise they will lift very quickly. Also check the brand of the vinyl, quality differs by some way good brands are 3M and Avery for instance. Make sure if you go that route you find out what brand is going on.

Nice one, thanks for that, I don't think I'll be doing it myself, wouldn't trust my self with the bonnet, smaller areas of the car, then maybe, but not the bonnet, I'll leave that to the professionals. I'll maybe give Zippypooz a message to see if he can advise on it.

I will definitely take a look into the brands though, always best to check before buying/fitting. 

Thanks coldel!

• Like 1

Zippypooz (Steve) is a very close friend of mine. He is one of the best around and has won awards for his wrapping. He has wrapped several members cars and they have all been delighted with his work. Top man in every respect. He is away on a course for a couple of days but I am sure he will get back to you end of the week. Steve will probably use 3M.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Payco said:

Zippypooz (Steve) is a very close friend of mine. He is one of the best around and has won awards for his wrapping. He has wrapped several members cars and they have all been delighted with his work. Top man in every respect. He is away on a course for a couple of days but I am sure he will get back to you end of the week. Steve will probably use 3M.

Ah brilliant, thanks Payco, nice to see he is highly recommended with also winning awards for the work he has done!

I will shoot him over a message to get an idea of price, time etc, I am hoping to get it done before JapFest. 

Edited by eroll_350z
Words are hard sometimes

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 13:01, coldel said:

You can buy the kit and do it in your bath tub for a lot less I've been told by a mate who did his engine compartment bits. The activator liquid cost him £30 plus the pattern and he did it himself - Only seen pics but looks like a good job and is prob what I'll do with mine now (after trying and failing to wrap it to a high enough standard).

1 hour ago, Foo56 said:

You can buy the kit and do it in your bath tub for a lot less I've been told by a mate who did his engine compartment bits. The activator liquid cost him £30 plus the pattern and he did it himself - Only seen pics but looks like a good job and is prob what I'll do with mine now (after trying and failing to wrap it to a high enough standard).

Good luck with it, no easy skill to do that! From what I read its all in the prep and finish, chucking it in the bath is probably the easier bit? How are you going to reach the middle? Presume your bath is more than half the width of the bonnet deep?

one of the easiest things to do is wrap a bonnet,even if you haven't done this before

just need something like a 5d carbon fibre wrap from Avery or 3M and you will get a top result

definitely not easy to hydrodip a whole bonnet

I don't think my bath is big enough to do the whole bonnet...I'm all up for wrapping it by myself but I wouldn't  do a bonnet as a first attempt. I'm speaking with zippypooz at the moment who does wrapping, his work looks amazing, so will hopefully have it done soon , ideally before Japfest.

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Good luck with it, no easy skill to do that! From what I read its all in the prep and finish, chucking it in the bath is probably the easier bit? How are you going to reach the middle? Presume your bath is more than half the width of the bonnet deep?

I was referring to your comment "I got a quote to dip two small parts of my dashboard which is about 1/20th the size of a bonnet and was quoted over £100. " i.e. the dash bits, not the whole bonnet! Wouldn't even attempt to do that in a bath..

Like I said in my post, I was told by a mate who'd done it as I haven't (yet) just thought was worth mentioning as may have saved you some money if you're still planning on doing it.

TBH I'm not sure I like the idea of carbon wrapping on to standard bodywork any way... I'd personally just look for a 2nd hand carbon bonnet (seen several for sale lately) and get the weight saving gains from it.

Edited by Foo56

4 hours ago, Foo56 said:

TBH I'm not sure I like the idea of carbon wrapping on to standard bodywork any way... I'd personally just look for a 2nd hand carbon bonnet (seen several for sale lately) and get the weight saving gains from it.

I can appreciate that, the reason I want to wrap it first is simply because it's a tenth of the price of a new Seibon Carbon bonnet and then I can see if I actually like it instead of forking out for a real one and then end up liking the stock one more, but yeah the weight savings with a real one would make it worthwhile