Clunk going over speed bumps or when turning while stationary/parking?

colesl4w

Hi all,

For the last while I have had a front-end clunk when going over speed bumps slowly, or when turning the wheels while moving very slowly/not at all. I have replaced the Banana arms just last year so doubt it is those. What else would this be symptomatic of? Drop links?

Thanks!

J

Have you checked the fixings of the replaced banana arms and the brace which would have been removed to fit them in case they have come loose maybe. ?

7 hours ago, colesl4w said:

Hi all,

For the last while I have had a front-end clunk when going over speed bumps slowly, or when turning the wheels while moving very slowly/not at all. I have replaced the Banana arms just last year so doubt it is those. What else would this be symptomatic of? Drop links?

Thanks!

J

There's a technique Alex told me a while back to try and identify it, for example if you go over some rough road or potholes and brake when doing so. If the noise stops or continues it eliminates if its a ball joint or drop link or something lol I can't quite remember, maybe he'll see this and be able to help out.

23 minutes ago, AMT said:

There's a technique Alex told me a while back to try and identify it, for example if you go over some rough road or potholes and brake when doing so. If the noise stops or continues it eliminates if its a ball joint or drop link or something lol I can't quite remember, maybe he'll see this and be able to help out.

Yep that's right ... my theory though not Alex's ... if it stops whilst braking (but maintaining speed) it's the ball joint on the banana bar

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 1

Aye awrite, my theory, his theory....  :lol:;):p hehe. I just remember getting told it by someone (I'm sure it was Alex :lol: ) Does seem to work if I recall, I've been through every damn bit of suspension (short of the shocks) you could do... not had much luck lol

1 hour ago, AMT said:

Aye awrite, my theory, his theory....  :lol:;):p hehe. I just remember getting told it by someone (I'm sure it was Alex :lol: ) Does seem to work if I recall, I've been through every damn bit of suspension (short of the shocks) you could do... not had much luck lol

MY THEORY, just to be clear. :lol::lol::lol:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

post #3 01/06/10

and post #7

Beat that Alex :p

I think that you are forgetting that I told you that in December 2009. :lol:

Unfortunately, my old PMs are deleted and all my previous trader stuff is archived, so can't link you in. ;)

But on a serious note, for the OPs benefit, the left foot braking diagnostic trick does work. :thumbs:

11 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

I think that you are forgetting that I told you that in December 2009. :lol:

Unfortunately, my old PMs are deleted and all my previous trader stuff is archived, so can't link you in. ;)

But on a serious note, for the OPs benefit, the left foot braking diagnostic trick does work. :thumbs:

OK Alex

Let's agree to disagree  on this one... I do know that it cost me £2500 to form my conclusion having changed lots of parts on my 350 before I found the solution to knocking over small undulations at low speed ... knowing a bit about engineering (structural rather than  dynamic mechanical admittedly), I worked out that the only time that the compression rods were in ... errr ...compression, was when the car was being driven forward with the brakes applied and that led me to conclude that the diagnosis for ball joint failure could only be found by the method above

I did all this about 3 or 4 years into my Zed ownersship which would make it about the end of 2007

Cheers anyway ... I do respect your knowledge on all things Nissan  :pmzmanalex: :hug:

It took you £2500 to find that out!? :scare: yikes.  All in, including the recent stay brace thingy, I've spent about £3K in repairs...over 5 years. Mind you I have spent about £22K just running the damn thing lol