Tree Sap

1CE

My whole car is covered in baked on tree sap.. Something I have inherited from the previous keeper. Now I've been advised you can remove this with isopropyl alcohol using a 10% solution to water but this struggled to remove it. I used it direct on a cloth managing to remove it all from the windscreen. Is this safe on the paint work? I've tried meguiars tar and bird crap remover but no joy. I've clay bared the bonnet which has removed a surprising amount which was unseen to the eye but it hasn't managed to shift the larger parts.

It's alllllllll over the car :wacko: .  Is this going to be a slow process of applying IPA to each piece of sap or is there an easier or safer option?

Ben

Thank you!

I took a deep breath and IPA'd the whole bonnet. It's removed all contaminants and tree sap! :teeth: Then clean, waxed and polished! Only done the bonnet as it was taking forever but the results speak for themselves :) .

20171021_150108.jpg.a7888248ad85fc69f5f7ae7ce40aa247.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For large tree sap blobs I've used ice cubes before, essentially freeze the sap and then apply slight pressure with a small plastic spatula and it will shatter off.  Took a while but worked too.