CEL VDC Slip lights on, no power

BigJames

Can anyone help me identify this issue? My car is a 2005 Fairlady Z MT.

So I just had my clutch and flywheel (Nismo Coppermix), slave cylinder, HEL braided hose and Motul fluid replaced and everything was fine. The clutch felt a little weird (felt like half of the pedal travel was just pedal spring tension and not engaging the clutch) so I had the garage re-bleed the clutch today just in case.

When I picked the car up, I got about 500 metres down the road when the CEL VDC & SLIP lights came on and the car wouldn't rev. I actually thought it had stalled but the engine was at 4-500RPM but wouldn't rev - foot to the floor eventually got it to 1500-2000RPM where it wouldn't go higher. I turned the car off, restarted and no lights were on so I went back to the garage. We checked everything we could think of, including removing the D1 spec throttle controller and then tried to use their OBDII reader to check faults but it wouldn't connect. I attempted to leave thinking it was a weird one-off since everything felt fine now but then it happened again whilst reversing out of the garage. Having not been able to find a source, I've brought the car home (under a mile) and it drove fine on the way back with no lights.

I did some googling and found USA posts that pointed to Cam position sensor but also coil packs and even after market headlights (mine are stock) so it's difficult to pin down.

I had planned to drive a few hundred miles tomorrow but will now use my other car until I know what the problem is. 

Edited by BigJames

Got a cheap code reader that tells me that no faults are logged on the ECU. Not convinced it has connected correctly but I also can't find definitive info about which OBD2 reader will work correctly on an import so going to have to keep looking. Links posted on other threads on this forum are no longer valid and model names were not mentioned...

Edited by BigJames

12 hours ago, Willsy1980 said:

I'd reconnect the D1 and try to recreate the problem, see if it throws the error again, at least you have a reader to clear it if it does.

If it happens again and you cant live with it, this is a good shout. Although I would have thought the fault would still be stored.

Have you tried recalibrating the throttle controller ? Checking connections ? Mines an import with a D1 fitted. Never had this problem. Could be the controller sending incorrect signals to the pedal sensor. either because it is faulty or not set up correctly.

I use a Bluetooth reader from eBay and an android app called car gauge pro. Works well.

20 hours ago, Rob332 said:

If it happens again and you cant live with it, this is a good shout. Although I would have thought the fault would still be stored.

Have you tried recalibrating the throttle controller ? Checking connections ? Mines an import with a D1 fitted. Never had this problem. Could be the controller sending incorrect signals to the pedal sensor. either because it is faulty or not set up correctly.

I use a Bluetooth reader from eBay and an android app called car gauge pro. Works well.

No re calibrated the throttle yet. I'm going to leave the controller off and see how it goes and if the glitch doesn't happen again - I'll add it again and see what happens.

The car isn't being used much at the moment so it'll take a while to work out of the issue has gone for good. I ran the controller for a few weeks without any issue and I can't see how changing a clutch would make any difference so it might have just been a weird day :p

• 6 months later...

I had a few gremlins with my fairlady a few years back. The air con would stick on, power would be down and the slip light would be on. If I tried to switch her off and back on again, it wouldn’t start, just kept turning over. It was really random. 

I changed the the battery for a new one which resolved it. No issues whatsoever over the last three or four years.