Spotting an un-announced JDM

ukdavew

Hi,

Sorry if this is a daft newbie question. But in my recent browsing through pistonheads and primarily on Autotrader that there appear to be a fair number of JDM cars which aren't identified as such.

Is there a guide somewhere to spotting a JDM? I've had a look through the sticky post "The Differences" and that's been really useful.

There are some obvious ones such as tiptronic=JDM but I've noticed other things like square number plate brackets, but I don't know if that could be a "style" decision by the owner, oh and things like the Z from the Fairlady Z left on the left-side of the back-end, or ads that make a big deal of folding mirrors.

I just wondered if there was a post somewhere that I'd missed.

Cheers.

i was told that my car wasn't an import when i bought it from arnold clarke but didn't trust them, and the only method that fully conviced me was checking the vin number. might be worth emailing the sellers as some JDM's could be confused for UK car depending on how the pics are took etc.

also RAC will tell you for about a fiver in case you see a car you might wanna buy. i'd pay it for peace of mind before forking out the cash in any doubt :thumbs:

Thanks chaps, I did read the "difference" thread and it seemed there were lots of things, I just wasn't 100% sure of the things which might be standard on a JDM but an option over here.

Not that I'm anti-JDM, I just want to know what I'm looking at. While most of the Pistonhead ads looks pretty honest there's an awful lot on Autotrader where it appears to be JDM but isn't mentioned at all.

I think I need to do a lot more research to understand the pros and cons of JDM :)...oh and wait for my bonus to clear ;)

1. Square rear number plate recess unless the bumper has been replaced.

2. And, as you say, possibly a square front number plate.

3. No headlamp washers.

4. 17" wheels and non Brembo disk brakes.

5. The ESP switch doesn't say ESP, I think it says TCM or something like that.

6. The radio might not pick up UK stations, unless its been modified or swapped out for an aftermarket unit.

i don't think you'd have any regrets with either of them. the JDM's have some features which are arguably better, such as auto-folding wing mirrors, and if it's the luxury version it will have brembos and 18'' wheels like a UK car. plus you'd get a newer and lower milegae import for less money. the only reason i got a UK car was because the insurance was coming through at £3000 for JDM, or £800 for UK :wacko:

apparently, insurance companies work from the belief that imported cars are made to a lower quality than UK cars. :lol: there's so much room to argue that it's not worth doing but that's what they think.

i don't think you'd have any regrets with either of them. the JDM's have some features which are arguably better, such as auto-folding wing mirrors, and if it's the luxury version it will have brembos and 18'' wheels like a UK car. plus you'd get a newer and lower milegae import for less money. the only reason i got a UK car was because the insurance was coming through at £3000 for JDM, or £800 for UK :wacko:

apparently, insurance companies work from the belief that imported cars are made to a lower quality than UK cars. :lol: there's so much room to argue that it's not worth doing but that's what they think.

I can see that being a killer, I'd definitely be in the UK club if that's the case when it comes time to buy.

I can see that being a killer, I'd definitely be in the UK club if that's the case when it comes time to buy.

I've just had my renewal notice from Admiral - £276 fully comp, legal cover etc. etc. JDM seems to be no problem for them now.

I've just had my renewal notice from Admiral - £276 fully comp, legal cover etc. etc. JDM seems to be no problem for them now.

i could live with a quote like that. had to be very shrewd to get my insurance down to £800. turn 25 before my next renewal though, so that should help :teeth:

But how old are you? :p

That was a low blow. :nono:

But completely relevant as it explains why yours is so low :):p

But completely relevant as it explains why yours is so low :):p

No argument there. But my main point is that, in my experience, getting insurance for a JDM has neither been difficult nor relatively expensive. In other words I wouldn't let that put me off buying a JDM.

No argument there. But my main point is that, in my experience, getting insurance for a JDM has neither been difficult nor relatively expensive. In other words I wouldn't let that put me off buying a JDM.

but check what quotes you are getting on a specific car before you commit to buying it :thumbs:

but check what quotes you are getting on a specific car before you commit to buying it :thumbs:

Definitely will do so.

Lots of useful tips here...I was testing myself on Autotrader yesterday running through the pages of cars in my planned price range and giving myself a running commentary...

"Japanese front and rear bumpers...JDM"

"Indicator stalk's on wrong side...JDM"

etc.

I'll definitely get some quotes. Directline who I've been with forever want £426 for a UK 350z (about £14.5k value, so an 03). I've not tried for a JDM yet as I can't do it online and it means speaking to an insurance troll.