V5 Document?

Fred020

The time has come to sell my 7 year old 370z.  No reason for selling, other than I always seem to sell cars when they get to 7 years old.  It's the only car I have driven in that time, and I shall miss it.

The replacement is what seems to be the Z's nearest relative these days - a Mustang.  A nearly-new model from a dealer near Oxford.  I have a question about buying from dealers.  Having paid a deposit, I wanted to see the Mustang's V5, in order to check the number of previous owners and other details of the car.  I emailed the dealer asking for a scanned copy, but he says he can't send it due to data protection.  Some web sites (well, just 1 actually) say never buy a car without seeing the V5 first.  Now before paying for the car electronically, I would have liked to see that V5.  Any advice?

I can't remember if I saw the 370Z'a V5 before buying it 6 years ago.

Edited by Fred020

Utter nonsense. When you buy the car you get the V5 anyway! :lol:

That said, you're buying from a dealer, so it's not really an issue. Just make sure you put at least £100 of the cost on a credit card, and get to see the HPI check that they should do for you. I've never bothered inspecting a V5 when buying from a dealer, nor will I ever tbh.

Thanks guys.  I did an RAC history check (£14.99) that came up all clear.  No outstanding finance etc.

Thanks Ekona for the credit card tip - that's how I paid the deposit.  Paying any part on credit card gets you some protection for the whole purchase iirc.

Yes, the V5 I expect to receive after purchase will show the last owner and the number of owners before that (but not their details).  It would have been good to ask about that at the test drive but I forgot.