Samsung tablets.

88 Zed

Morning all, me an my sister are looking to buy my dad a Samsung tablet for farthers day but we both have always used Apple.

Looking to spend around £150 / £200 what would be the best option?

I say Samsung because he has a Samsung phone and really isn't the most techy person!

Any help is appreciated thanks.

The manufacturer doesn't really matter that much when it comes to familiarity, its the OS that matters. Presumably his phone is running android, so any android tablet would probably suffice.

I've got a Samsung galaxy tab pro, the Samsung apps are garbage and I've not been that overly impressed with the tablet itself. The battery dies after ~3 years (new battery can be DIY'd for ~£30) and at low volumes there is a buzzing sound. The buzzing is a common problem with my particular tablet, so may not be representative of all Samsungs.

Edited by Randy_Baton

I had a Galaxy TabPRO 10.1" Tablet - worst £230 ever spent, Was all great when I first got it, and I got it but then the reviews started to make sense. Battery life was terrible. and I don't mean like " oh it only lasts 6 hours " I mean it would go down roughly 2% a minute watching youtube videos if not more. Took forever to charge back after that too!!

Now, I'm a Samsung fan, both mine and the lounge TV's were Samsung's flagships - all our phones are Samsung flagships of the time we got them. Started with my S3, then me and dad got S5's, brother got an S6, then me and dad upgraded to an S7 Edge and I gave my S5 to the GF over a year ago which is now starting to show its 3 year age. So she gets my S7 edge for free, while I got a nice new shiny S8+ last month. Somewhere along the line my mum got an S5 too, so yeah we like.

Easy to use, reliable, and interchangeable. S3 - S8 hasn't changed much in terms of operating systems so you can use any and all :D

I'd google it thoroughly, and definitely read reviews. Don't be like me and say " well you're special, ofc the battery drains with use..." cause it really did... badly.

The manufacturer doesn't really matter that much when it comes to familiarity, its the OS that matters. Presumably his phone is running android, so any android tablet would probably suffice.

I've got a Samsung galaxy tab pro, the Samsung apps are garbage and I've not been that overly impressed with the tablet itself. The battery dies after ~3 years (new battery can be DIY'd for ~£30) and at low volumes there is a buzzing sound. The buzzing is a common problem with my particular tablet, so may not be representative of all Samsungs.

wow what weird timing, we both were typing about the same tablet hahaha battery was crap.. and thats offensive to crap!

Wow so what I'm reading from this is the phones seem to have more effort put into them than the tablets? Funny you guys should mention the battery as that's what kept failing on his last tablet (second hand samsung something or other)

I'm wondering weather a asus or similar system as long as it uses android then?

I just want one that's not going to take years for him to get used to

You want a Galaxy Tab E. Very cheap, absolutely fine spec for everything except advanced 3d games (and even then it can handle them, just about, courtesy that the screen resolution isn't silly crazy), large 9.6" screen, perfect for the young and old. Both my daughters have one (4 and 5.5) and they have not suffered any damage yet (going on a year), so they are also very durable. The camera is awful, but who cares about hte camera on a tablet? There is no better product for the money. They were a bargain when they were 200 quid, now that they are 120 or something, they're unbelievable value.

Edited by Aashenfox

Another with the Tab pro 10.1 here and another with a failed battery after about 18 months. Was easy enough to replace and other than that never had an issue with it.

Previously had the 7 inch version of the Galaxy tab, but that was only used in the car for connecting to the headunit for films and stuff to keep the mrs from moaning on long road trips :)