bloody trade in price!

dr bru

Got a trade in price for my 2005 GT coupe a few days ago. Car has done 40 000 miles (motorway miles) but is in as new condition..

Took it in to Lotus to see how much I could get part exchange for a 2nd hand exige S.....

16K walked out very angry!..think I have to try selling private, anyone know what I should be expecting.. Would have thought at least 18K!

Got a trade in price for my 2005 GT coupe a few days ago. Car has done 40 000 miles (motorway miles) but is in as new condition..

Took it in to Lotus to see how much I could get part exchange for a 2nd hand exige S.....

16K walked out very angry!..think I have to try selling private, anyone know what I should be expecting.. Would have thought at least 18K!

That's what I would have expected, trade in from a dealer. In the current market I'd be surprised if you got £18k private and you could be waiting a long time. I've seen lower mileage cars at franchised dealers for £18k. :blush:

I'd be happy with £16K if I were you. You might get slightly more in a private sale but I think thats a fair price.

6months ago I paid considerably less than £18K for one with only 30,000 miles on it. I'd expect about £16K for mine.

Welcome to the unfortunate world of the car market during a credit crunch. :blush: Not the best for buying or selling really. I would hope for more than you have suggested but it's not the case at the moment. :dry:

problem is you are dealing with a car dealer, you never sell your car to em if you are expecting good money back. As they have to take into account running maintenance space, insurance during hold, then on top of that make profit as well if possible, alot of times they dont. 16k from a dealer for 2005 with 40k is about right... private you could get about 17.5k tops I think. I bought a GT 2005 55 with I think 11k miles on it in black for £18600 private, so it all depends whos out there to buy it :blush:

Guest prescience

I reckon the price is about right too :blush:

There are 122 350Zs for sale on PH right now, that's a lot when compared to the ubiquitous TT (of which there are 278) :scare:

Welcome to the unfortunate world of the car market during a credit crunch. :blush: Not the best for buying or selling really.

+1

Try selling an £80k+ car at this time :scare::surrender: I never PX my cars as they want to make a profit on both cars :dry:

I think £16k for a 3 yr old car with 40k is reasonable for a trade in. You may realise more privately but that comes with its own pitfalls :blush:

Although I was seriously offered 28k for my car last week B) Silly me said no, got the guys number too :blush:

So many wierd people out there if you want 18k for your car no harm in trying get a proper photographer to take pics of your car, artistic one, then post on pistonheads, the more effort you put into your sales pitch on the car, the more likely it will sell for the money you want. Just dont get over greedy and dreamy, like one idiot who tried to get 50k for his Z :headhurt:

Although I was seriously offered 28k for my car last week B) Silly me said no, got the guys number too :blush:

So many wierd people out there if you want 18k for your car no harm in trying get a proper photographer to take pics of your car, artistic one, then post on pistonheads, the more effort you put into your sales pitch on the car, the more likely it will sell for the money you want. Just dont get over greedy and dreamy, like one idiot who tried to get 50k for his Z :headhurt:

+1,make the ad look as good as possible and it should stand out from the rest

I share the coments above - prices are currently depressed but then if they were better the Lotus garage would probably be asking more for the Exige so you end up having to pay the same diffeence - swings and roundabouts.

If that's the car you want go for it - you can see that selling privately might give you more pain and you could end up losing out all round. You might be able to get the garage to offer a free service or extended warranty etc down the line from the sale, which dosen't affect their sales cash flow now that is more critical for them at this time of year. ;)