Vibrating between 3000-3500 rpm

SwissZ

Anyone one had this problem before?

If I accelerate to over 4000 revs and take my foot off, I quite often feel vibration in the car somewhere between 3000 - 3500 revs whilst slowing down. Its especially noticable through the gear stick.

The cars actually in the garage at the moment where they are attempting to fix it as they've acknowleged that something is wrong. The only thing is, they've decided it's the rear axel and are currently swapping it out :wacko: I'm not convinced though and would have put money on it being the gearbox which is why I thought I'd ask if anyone's had anything similar.

Cheers!

Not a bad guess :) That's what they thought originally so I'm guessing they checked that.

No, there's no vibration when accelerating.

I was kind of hoping someone would say 'oh yes, common problem, get this changed'. It seems though anything that goes wrong with this car is not normal! :wacko:

There is a good vibration in the gear stick. Both my Z's did/do it. Mostly noticeable at idle but sometimes when off the power decelerating.

None of the usual and strange noises quirks the Z makes are audible or noticeable when accelerating.

It’s probably the clutch/release bearing which if replaced would probably start doing it again fairly quickly.

Ahhhh the good old clutch release bearing... had 4 of em replaced now. :headhurt: Along with a brand new clutch assembly from the pedal to whatever comes last in the clutch setup....

As I said before, nothing that goes wrong with this car is normal. Nissan Switzerland actually said that the problem I had with the clutch pedal getting stuck half way up when released, and I quote.... 'wasn't possible' :lol: They eventually stopped just replacing the bearing, did the whole lot and the clutch feels fantastic now. Just need to get the vibration sorted....

There is a good vibration in the gear stick. Both my Z's did/do it. Mostly noticeable at idle but sometimes when off the power decelerating.

None of the usual and strange noises quirks the Z makes are audible or noticeable when accelerating.

It’s probably the clutch/release bearing which if replaced would probably start doing it again fairly quickly.

There is a good vibration in the gear stick.............................

dont tell the girls on here............. :lol:

Soooo... let the fight begin :angry:

Got the car back complete with not a new rear axle, but whatever holds the axle to the car. Vibration still there. Garage tells me it's better, but still there. Yeah right.... its not changed at all. Garage then tells me Nissan is aware of this problem in the 2005 model and has sorted it in the 2006 but don't have a fix for whatever is causing it in the 2005.

Can you believe that crap???

Anyway, I'll be speaking to them on Monday and then it looks like i'll be using the legal cover part of my insurance for the first time......

Not a happy cookie!

• 6 months later...

do you have the standard shifter/shift lever in the car? Have either ever been removed?

there is a single nut that affixes the lever to the rod that leads to the transmission - sometimes that nut can back off just slightly and the result is not only vibration, but also the ability to move the shifter side to side (perhaps 1/2 inch) even when the car is in gear. It's very easy to tighten down (have to be under the car) - use a bit of thread lock as well. The stock shift lever itself is glued on, and Nissan actually changed the glue in the 04 and up models - worth looking at as well.

If you're feeling the noise and vibration through the lever, chances are it's not the axle :)

Thanks for the reply!

The gear shift is nice and tight with no movement.

The vibration seems to coming through the car too (dampened by the bushes though).

Its almost as though something is out of balance and when it reaches about 3000rpm it reaches a resenant frequancy.

Only happens when backing off too. When excellerating its all smooth.

Any ideas greatly appreciated :)

If im taking it to a garage, would like point them in the right direction ideally.

Thanks,

James

Guest prescience
Thanks for the reply!

The gear shift is nice and tight with no movement.

The vibration seems to coming through the car too (dampened by the bushes though).

Its almost as though something is out of balance and when it reaches about 3000rpm it reaches a resenant frequancy.

Only happens when backing off too. When excellerating its all smooth.

Any ideas greatly appreciated :)

If im taking it to a garage, would like point them in the right direction ideally.

Thanks,

James

Just to remove one possibility, check the gap between the strut brace and the engine cover - should be about 0.25" - if it's too close, it will resonate as described