Help with gearbox

gillywig2

Think I've made a very costly mistake.

I have dropped a piece of rubber tube into the gearbox. It was on the end of a molyslip nozzle to allow better access.

As I withdrew the tube it fell in. I've tried fishing around using a flexible grab tool, but can't find it.

I was thinking as it's soft rubber/plastic, if I could drive it and then change the oil to remove the chewed up tube, hopefully

Any ideas?

Edited by gillywig2

Personally, thats a huge nono in my book. Tolerances are so tight that even a soft piece of rubber / plastic could seriously upset things. Weighing it up against the cost of a second hand box / rebuilding, it would make sense to pull it apart and find the offending piece.

Id rather that then grop a gear or two from damage caused. Unlucky dude!

Oh no !

If you leave it in and drive it, it will probably melt to the gears in the box.

You could try filling with oil and seeing if it floats to the top near the filling hole where you can use something to fish it out ?

Or drain the oil again with the car jacked up at an angle which would make it flow towards the drain hole ?

Edited by Rob332

How big are we talking gillywig? Diameter and length?

If you drain the oil is it small enough to likely come out with the oil or at least drop to the bottom near the hole so you can get it?

If you Google it you'll find out you're not alone so don't beat yourself up about it too much although it could me a costly mistake (sorry).

Thanks for the replies.

The tubing is approx. 6mm in diameter and 80mm long. It's a clear, soft pvc tube.

I've spent ages trying to find it. Looking through the filler hole with a mirror and torch, but to no avail. I don't think there's enough space for the tube to find it's way to the drain hole. Can't poke my grabber up, as there's something right above the drain hole, limiting access.

I had plans for a nice productive day off today. Had already changed the diff oil, sorted a rattling heat sheild. It as all going well and then this happened :cry: