Stripped Out Boot - Few Questions

Strudul

So I've had a rattle that's been bugging me for the past 7 months...

Sounded like it's coming from the passenger side rear somewhere, but I couldn't pinpoint it, so I've resorted to stripping out pretty much all the trim to see if that resolves it and going from there. Needed to remove a lot of it anyway to re-thread the Velcro strap that goes over the scissor jack etc as it had come out, so 2 birds with 1 stone and whatnot.

Anyway, removed most of it, re-threaded the Velcro strap, made a few discoveries, but now have a few questions (some just out of curiosity)...

Found some more glass and candles to add to my collection, but also a rather concerning puddle of water. Was drizzling a bit at the time, but no idea how long it's been there. Soaked it all up with paper towels and will keep an eye on it, but are there any common leaks in the boot area to check?

kxZDmfu.jpg

Whilst in that area, can anyone explain what the black grill thing is? Is it some sort of vent / filter? Any chance the water has come through there?

feZFZzr.jpg

Next up was this thing... What purpose does it serve? Pulled it out to clean it up, and there's just a big hole for no apparent reason.

N5JUTYx.jpg

8VuUsf6.jpg

Found my jack handle too behind the boot amp...

1562.jpg

Expecting road noise to be much worse, but hopefully no more rattles and a huge increase in performance from all that weight saving :lol:

unQlnH4.jpg

mjnjtxH.jpg

yny6DaP.jpg

L7KfU9K.jpg

xNIQPYF.jpg

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

I think (and am happy to be called a liar here as I'm not 100% sure) that the flaps allow air to escape then you close the boot or a door. Kind of a pressure release if you know what I mean.

The other disc just looks like a rubber grommet that's bunging a hole left from manufacturing.

On a side note, just how much weight do you think you have removed by taking that all out?

• Like 2

Thanks for the link. Park pretty flat, nose pointed ever so slightly downhill.

Found this in there:

Found water in my boot floor after the wales trip. It was coming from the rear air circulation vents which are directly underneath the rear lights water drain path.

Brought some new ones, problem solved :)

The water will be coming in through that flappy vent thing. It clips in place from the outside and the seal that's used it pretty shite and decays over time. Easy and cheap replace, I seem to remember it being a Renault part number, but obvs available from Nissan.

• Like 1

The water will be coming in through that flappy vent thing. It clips in place from the outside and the seal that's used it pretty shite and decays over time. Easy and cheap replace, I seem to remember it being a Renault part number, but obvs available from Nissan.

Found them

Will take the lights out and check them first though.

a tube of clear silicone from builders merchants should solve that :D

Got some Marine-grade Sikaflex that should do the job. :happy:

Want to work out exactly where it's coming in though and stop it at the source of the problem. Think I'll need to have the rear bumper off to do it though.

I had the same problem, the seal on the outside was sort of foam and was like a sponge and water was soaking through. Resealed the vent and not had a problem since.

Has the rattle stopped?

Nope :lol:

Sound's changed a bit, but definitely still there. Thinking it might be one of the wires rattling, not sure how to diagnose it. Think I'll either tape everything down or shove someone in the boot to poke bits until it stops.

On a plus note, can really hear my exhaust now and it sounds fantastic - much more raw.

You have no inside left mate :lol:

Left the trim where the top seat belt hinges go cos i dunno how to get those off, but I've checked and it's not those rattling.

Think I've narrowed it down to the boot lid. Seems like there's some glass stuck in there and it's rattling about / the cable that runs through there is vibrating and knocking it about. Jiggling the cable makes an awful noise and when testing by tapping the car, the rattle goes away if I push the cable into certain positions.

As for the boot leak, got some sealant round the holes on the driver's side and will try give it a test tomorrow.

So there's glass in this bit...

2WI1QjQ.jpg

Jiggled this wire and you can hear it...

vv2TuoO.jpg

Removed this bung at the bottom and manged to pick a few bits out, but can still hear some scraping inside...

Ftf1bEG.jpg

Is there anyway to get in there to clear it out??

Don't think a suck would be strong enough. Considered a compressor, but have doubts about that too.

No amount of violent shaking seems to have caused the rest of the glass to fall to the bottom, so I'm assuming it's caught in the foam wrapping that runs all the way down the cable.

• 1 month later...