Short Shifter

Dave6188

Anyone have a short shifter on their Z ? If so how do you find it, any drawbacks like knotcheyness or vibrations etc. Is it worth doing ?

I've been looking at the B&M short shifter in particular, any info would be much appreciated. Is it the same fitment for every Z, I know gearboxes differ so assume there is a possibility that one might not fit all. Cheers.

I have one! But I also have a disclaimer or two... First, I've never driven a 350Z that didn't have one, so I don't know what the stock mechanism is like, except what I read and that's a lot of complaints, in general. Second, I don't know what brand mine is, but judging by the absolute shite bolted onto my car by previous owners, I wouldn't be surprised if it came out of a christmas cracker.

Now to how it feels...it's ok, it's not 'bad'. Yes, notchiness, yes, vibration, yes, difficult to put in reverse sometimes (but I understand that happens with the stock shifter as well :lol: ), yes, more shifting effort required (so get a heavy knob, like Rob did above, I have one but I haven't fitted it yet, hence my extra effort), but I have not yet missed a gear, so it's working fine and I have no current plans to change or remove it.

The B&M is touted as the best SS kit for MANY cars, including ours, but they have a price to match.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 2