Alternator gone, again!

Smc1992

Hi guys

My alternator packed up about 8 months ago so I bought a new one from my local motor spares place and fit it and everything seemed good, until the other day when I started the car after stopping at the petrol station and could hear a loud whining noise that increased with engine RPM. That noise decided to disappear but as it did, the battery light came on and the battery was reading 12v when the engine was running. So I realised the alternator had stopped charging and managed a few miles before it totally cut out.

My question is, could there be an underlying issue that im not aware of or is it just a faulty/cheap alternator I have bought?

Cheers for any input, I just dont want to replace the alternator if I am missing something that could cause it to go again!

No idea on any possible underlying issues sorry but if you only bought the alternator around 8 months ago you should imagine be able to return it as faulty for a refund or exchange item.

Hopefully someone might be able to suggest some ideas as to whether there is an underlying fault first though as you're wondering. ;)

Im not sure on the brand but it does have 12 month warranty, I just need to get it off the car so they can send it for testing before ill be refunded

Normal protocol.

Probably a diode issue.

Best to check out the electrical system for overcharging though, once the new alternator is fitted and battery is fully charged. :thumbs: