Oulton Park 23rd Feb 2008- my first trackday

red or zed

Guys, here is my writeup from Saturday. It wasnt in a zed, I know, but boy was it fun!

The Build up…

I decided only a couple of days beforehand that I was going to do my very first trackday. Ive spectated at Oulton Park a few times now and from the first time I drove over the bridge and into the grounds, I knew I had to drive there one day.

Ive been promising myself for years now that I was going to do a trackday, but id always managed to find an excuse not to- these ranged from being able to afford to do one, through to having doubts about whether my car was ‘fit’ to be taken on track. What I mean by this is the niggling thoughts one has at the back of their mind when the are going to be tracking their pride and joy- what if the brakes aren’t upto it? What if its been too long since the last service…the list goes on…

So what was different this time? Well, for starters my car had just been serviced so I knew all was well in that department. Apart from the brakes. Id had some mintex 1144’s on order for about 3 weeks and one of the provisos for going on track was only if my new pads were fitted. They were- the day before, and bedded in for about 150miles (one of the benefits of a long commute!).

So, with the knowledge that my car was as fit an healthy as it could possibly be, out came the credit card and in went the booking…

Considering I only had 2 days to wait, I could barely sleep for the 2 nights running upto the event. Sat morn came and I was awake way before my alarm, and ready to go by 7.15. the tank had already been brimmed with v power the night before, and id invested in an electric tyre pump so was ready to sort the pressures before I went on track.

The potential show stopper…

The drivers briefing came and went, with only one thing ringing in my ears, and a nagging doubt in my mind…towing eyes. “No access to the track is allowed without a towing eye fitted.â€

Nice write up mate, Shame i couldnt make it across to meet up with you.

Your so true about having an expensive hobby. Donny for me certainly wet my appetite! We'll have to get on track together soon.

Like me im sure you've realised how important tuition is. I cant tell you how much i learned by spending 30mins with an instructor.

Sounded like a top day, weather stayed good too. Now...... Pics and video footage you mentioned...................?:teeth:

• 2 weeks later...

Superb write-up, mate. Man, you've really got me dying to get out there again. I've not done Oulton yet -- not done *anywhere* in the Zed, in fact -- so this was a great introduction.

As for the ST's suitability for track work (Focus ST, right?), I reckon it's the *perfect* car for your first track outings. FWD (so easier to manage if it's wet) and just the right kind of power. I had many a happy trackday in my Cooper S -- especially when it was wet, in fact. You can really humble RWD cars in those conditions.

Anyway, if you fancy another outing some time, I'm probably going to be doing Croft this year in the Zed. Maybe you could bring yours too and we'd get the rare sight of two red ones out together?

Mal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/malross/2169771008/

As for the ST's suitability for track work (Focus ST, right?), I reckon it's the *perfect* car for your first track outings. FWD (so easier to manage if it's wet) and just the right kind of power. I had many a happy trackday in my Cooper S -- especially when it was wet, in fact. You can really humble RWD cars in those conditions.

What is the right kind of power? He's got over 280bhp going through the front wheels :lol:

Im def up for another trackday just need to sort my wheels and brakes and bobs your uncle.

Nice one :) Doing a trackday is addictive, I did my first one in the zed with Sinbad & would like to do it again at some stage. (though probably wont be in zed!) Though when shopping for car insurance I will definetley try & find a company that can include the odd trackday as part of the cover or as a supplement to pay when needed.