Can you make a good track car for £1.5k?

WillisRR

As many of you will hate the idea of taking your pride and joy on a race track (understandably so) have you ever considered having a toy just for track days?

Me and two friends each put in £500 with the idea of proving you can build a reliable and fun track car on a budget.

A MK2 MX5 on coilovers, oem brake set up with upgraded pads and fluids, seats, roll bar and harnesses. Job done....

Dyno'd at 97hp but that never stopped us although the tyre barrier stopped Matt in the vid below :lol: ...

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

If you have a friend/family member who can go in on it with you it really does make for some amazing days and so cost effective.

When you split running costs down between a few of you it just makes sense. You get about the same seat time as you would on your own to be honest as you rest while the other drives.

I went to Snetterton in November with a few mates, they all had MX5's on coilovers, I was in a bone stock MR2 Mk3 :)

Top quality banter all day, a few BMW's and Porsches embarrassed and an Ariel Atom black flagged when all 5 of us followed it for an entire lap, None of the cars cost more than £1500, you can often have more fun in lower powered cheaper cars than in the big boys toys as theres a lot less to lose :)

• Like 1

I went to Snetterton in November with a few mates, they all had MX5's on coilovers, I was in a bone stock MR2 Mk3 :)

Top quality banter all day, a few BMW's and Porsches embarrassed and an Ariel Atom black flagged when all 5 of us followed it for an entire lap, None of the cars cost more than £1500, you can often have more fun in lower powered cheaper cars than in the big boys toys as theres a lot less to lose :)

So true! Not very often you see cars driven to their full potential. So may want to fly before they can even crawl and pick up some terrid techniques etc.

Still amazes me how many will invest so much in making their cars faster but then not develop themselves as a driver.... and that's the most rewarding and fun bit!!!

As you said, it's all about fun! Good times, not lap times!

Edited by WillisRR

You can sometimes buy them ready made for the price of a cod in batter these days.

Things like old Clio cup cars. And they often come with a lot of spares.

I was thinking of stripping my ST170 and go get a rally licence. The engine in it is fantastic. Just a shame about the rest of the car.

• Like 1

YesTT350, MK2s are cheap now, MK1s seem to be climbing though.

Would love to go rallying! Had an old Impreza Turbo 2000 on AD08Rs and on Broads it was insane. The road rallys over in North Wales look great fun but still seem a bit of a grey area in terms of how legal it is.

You are right Graham, with FI they become proper little weapons! We have bought the stand alone ecu and just waiting for a supercharger kit to come up at a good price, that will probably be for next winter season though. During the summer we use the 'proper toys' and over winter we hammer the crap out of the little mx5 haha. Matt's MK1 MX5 should be complete soon too, that has a HKS Supercharged s2000 motor in it!

• Like 1

Oh, and heres my other sub £1500 track car, also stock other than brake pads and a bit of cam advance but awesome fun:

1782155_10151908653536949_1263124765_n.jpg?oh=02f242246ccc2c5a0116aa2f4c86ea99&oe=5901FC63

An FI is a pretty awesome thing - potential daily, track weapon, drift tool and all on 15 inch tyres, OE brakes and no FML feels when you do eventually hit somethng solid.

• Like 1