Hybrid Z Car

Exec

The Z's heritage doesn't count for much, we've have Twin Turbo Z's, NA Z's, viscous diff, LSD, convertible. This is the natural progression of a car series in a market dominated more by emissions laws and efficacy than sentimentality.

Nissan can't ignore the power to fuel efficiency of modern Turbo engines as far as emissions and competitive performance is concerned. The hybrid is an interesting idea but many people, myself included question why you'd elevate your 2 seater sports car series to compete with your flagship supercar, the GTR in terms of performance.

I see the hybrid idea falling off the production rollout, but I do hope they do a balls out version with the VR30DDTT from the Q60. That would have the Z in a very healthy position against competing R & RS models.

However the hybrid train will develop 500bhp as I've read somewhere.

Yeah that's what I'm referring to - pushing 500bhp in a lighter car than the GTR will eat into its market share, surely? Maybe it will happen, just very sceptical.

I think the distinction between the GTR and Z chassis cars isn't about out and out power or even speed, it's more about:

- GTR is 4WD, Z RWD

- GTR is 4 seats (lol), Z 2

- GTR is electronic everything, Z is mechanical

- GTR is designed to go round the Nurburgring, Z to do A roads or Route 66

Power train etc isn't the definition of the car, it's the intention. Even if this new Z does make 500bhp it won't put in lap times like the GTR of the day, but I bet it'll look cooler!

GTR has tonnes of electronic gizmos helping it achieve its ...mentalness.... the Z cars is just a rear wheel drive big engine sports car, nothing fancy...some ESP lol

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Edited by AMT

GTR is electronic everything, Z is mechanical

What do you mean by this ? Whats mechanical on the 370 that is electronic on the GTR?

Are you familiar with the things you can do with the computer system in the GTR? That plus launch control and the rather more sophisticated traction control system. With the Z's you get what you're given or you buy and bolt on a new part, and the traction control system's just a big 'nope' system which stops both rear wheels from spinning in equal measure.

Is what I mean.

GTR is the HALO car putting a new Z in that area would be competing with yourself

i would expect a a re shelled Infinity Q60 with less luxury bias would not be surprised to find it drops any manual for a 7 spd auto

Edited by StevoD

GTR is electronic everything, Z is mechanical

What do you mean by this ? Whats mechanical on the 370 that is electronic on the GTR?

Are you familiar with the things you can do with the computer system in the GTR? That plus launch control and the rather more sophisticated traction control system. With the Z's you get what you're given or you buy and bolt on a new part, and the traction control system's just a big 'nope' system which stops both rear wheels from spinning in equal measure.

Is what I mean.

Yes I'm familiar with the complex electronics associated with the awd system on the GTR, obviously the 370z lack these along with the AWD, mechanically the rear differentials on both cars are similar, the 370z still has electronic traction control (yes its crap and basically shuts the throttles completely) but an improved version along with launch control is available with software like ECUtek

The 370z hardly flew off the shelves with its rwd, big engine and sports car looks, cant see the replacement being similar at all, I suspect a small capacity turbo charged engine with hybrid drivetrain to "boost" its output and emissions figures, all said with a heavy heart of course but what us minority would like wont drive the market.