Practicality question - camping in a Zed Ragtop ?

stanski

Ok so bottom line anyone been on holls in a Zed ragtop abroad?

Does it have enough boot space to accomodate say a 2 man tent and the assorted camping gear - cooker, clothes,pots etc?

I'm contemplating a trip to France again this year and if I decide to get an older Zed (much cheaper than an '07) I may just go for it! :teeth:

Sooo other than the problem of catching your bumper on the ferry ramp - any other pitfalls? Has it attracted the wrong kind of attention for example from Le Scroats abroad? :dry: Or Mit Policia? Does it sink in the grass on a field campsite? :lol:

I bloody hope it all fits in, I'm off to LeMans in mine this year! :D

If I can get a weekend's worth of camping gear in an MR2 mk3 which has about as much storage space as a small bumbag, then I reckon you can easily get everything into a Z. At least, I don't see any issues at all.

I have inadvertantly mud tracked my beloved roadster with the big summer wheels on and was one of only two cars to make it. Will find the link and post it.

As for practicalit you have the Tardis or roof stowage space. Provided you are happy to travel to your camp site ( hmm camp site and roadster in the same post :scare: ) with the roof up you can get a lot in the tardis.

Another box ticked Stan :lol:

There you go

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... hlight=mud

:surrender:

If I can get a weekend's worth of camping gear in an MR2 mk3 which has about as much storage space as a small bumbag, then I reckon you can easily get everything into a Z. At least, I don't see any issues at all.

Aye Dan I know what you mean I had run 2 MR2 mk3's myself - Living the life of an MR2 owners is quite liberating really its surprising how ingenious you have to be especially when you forget your not in your van when you get a shop at Costco! Fortunately some Japanese engineer decided that the cubbies behind the seats will fit perfectly a half crate of wine! :lol::thumbs:

To be fair I have not really had a chance to see the mini - boot in the Zed softtop - the coupe looks quite cavernous to say the least ! I have to admit to looking at MR2's again as a temp precursor to Zed ownership - sorry guys - could be worse I could be looking at Rex's again ;)

Damn been spoilt in the Ditchfinder on last camping trip so not thought about it in a zed in the same way, :dry:

Thanks Martin - yup another tick in the box ? Cant take the portable fridge though !

Oi !! Less of the camp humour Stuey! :p Ragtop people are special we love the smell of that diesel wagon in front or the 1982 Austin Montego belching and coughing up crap! Its part of the fun!

Dan did you also discover that if your caught out in the rain on the motorway in an MR2 as long as you drive above 50ish it does go over the top not in the cab! ;)

Sorry last daft question - spare wheel is under the boot I guess??? full size or space saver?

Coupe is spacesaver with access through the boot floor. Not sure if the roadster is exactly the same!

Why do you need a mini fridge? A bucket with water in it with a damp towel over the top! If you leave it in a shady area it'll keep beers or milk cold! B)

Thanks Martin - yup another tick in the box ? Cant take the portable fridge though

Take my portable fridge when I go to the races in it. Fits a treat :D

I seriously do a lot of touring wekkends and longer in it and have no problems with space for luggage. I can get plenty of bit and pieces in. Rarely have to use the Tardis but camping would be one case when it would help. Get a friend with a camper van ;)

if i can get a hot woman to come too

You will find plenty while you are down there I am sure .... :D Just ask her if she fancies a holiday in Ewloe on the return trip?

Monaco? Blimey you must be minted! Enjoy it and plan your petrol stations carefully! :lol:

Ok so bottom line anyone been on holls in a Zed ragtop abroad?

Does it have enough boot space to accomodate say a 2 man tent and the assorted camping gear - cooker, clothes,pots etc?

I'm contemplating a trip to France again this year and if I decide to get an older Zed (much cheaper than an '07) I may just go for it! :teeth:

Sooo other than the problem of catching your bumper on the ferry ramp - any other pitfalls? Has it attracted the wrong kind of attention for example from Le Scroats abroad? :dry: Or Mit Policia? Does it sink in the grass on a field campsite? :lol:

Hi Stanski

We took ours to france for 2.5 weeks last year and did 3500 miles in it. It was a great time and you must do the Millau viaduct and some of the alpine passes!

Getting on and off the supercat that SpeedFerries use was no problem. Getting hold of fuel when over there was no issue either.

We managed to get a small 4 man tent, 2 chairs, v small stove, pots, mugs and cutlery, sleeping bags & thermarests etc in the car boot with no problems. The key thing is to be disciplined about your clothing - we took clothes for 5 days and did a couple of launderette visits whilst we were out there.

The boot gets very very hot on an extended run due to the exhausts so if you have stuff you want to keep cool, then put it in the compartment behind the passenger seat!

No problems with any undue attention - driving through villages with the roof down caused all the bars to empty to see what was making the noise, which was interesting! High speed travel is easy - speed cameras are signposted and the police completely disappear after dark ;)

One word of warning: if you are going up in to the moutains then make sure you take some oil with you. When you are doing 15-20km descents back in to the valleys using engine braking, you will be burning some oil: we were using over half a litre PER DAY! It was great fun, though :teeth:

If you have got any specific questions, then drop me a PM!

Glen

If you have got any specific questions, then drop me a PM

thanks for that info Glen appreciated - it was my first trip camping and driving in france Last summer I had similar attention no ones seen a Pathfinder over there (only 4 in this country ha ha)!! :lol:

I have not decided where I'm going yet and unless I get my funds sorted soon its not gonna be in a Zed either! Will have to pm you later for further info. Cheers ;)

Stan

For Le mans 3 years ago I fitted 2 people, 6 man tent, blow up beds, all the kit to go with and clothing for 2 people (do not take suitcases.). not a lot of room left.

More room than you think but you will not see anything out the rear window.

Following year had to fit 3 man tent in the caterham, but no wife that year so passenger seat used.

Elkona,

If you seriously cannot fit everything for Le Mans in your car this year let me know as will be taking the bimmer estate, wil be there Thurs to Sunday night. (Abbeville track day on Monday if you want to stop off on the way back and see some elise/exiges go round a track.)

Not been on here for ages so just read this....

You won't have any problem with the ferry. I crossed from Dover to Calais during summer 2006 on P&O and the car was fine.

Going back over this summer after spending 9 nights in the South of England, then going over to Brussels for 4 days.

All booked up and ready to go :D

sounds good - my time off worked is booked but I hav'nt booked anywhere to stay yet - fancy goining central france- stay over somewhere every few days of so then to South Coast then back up the West coast Brittany and back home - booked just over 2 weeks for that lot?

Any ideas or suggestions for Camping and Git's maybe? Personal recommendations ideally ?? Thanks :D

stanski

My french place is 35 miles from Calais so what info you after.....

PS for those planning on a trip to France they have introduced new law that says anymore than 2 cars in a convoy is illegal. Do not know if they are enforcing it but the french drivers were worried about it.

Thanks Martin and steve_b - I will Pm you later for more info if thats ok?

Ok lets see how much the stealers will give me for the Ditchfinder- now renamed to Chipfinder!! Bleedin rock hit the screen last night and left a lovely bullet hole - yet more time and expense! :angry: