Window auto drop ,any known faults ????

lomoto

:scare: Just realised today that my passenger side window doesnt drop down as much as the drivers side :rant:

it misses the door frame, but only by a couple of mm,s..The drivers side seems to have approx double the clearance.. Anyone know a cure for this ? before I start ripping the door cards of to have a look :wacko:

If a apply just slight pressure with one finger to top of the passenger window when door is open it will drop down to the correct height,but its a bit of a pain to keep doing this.. Given the window plenty of exercise and silicone sray to rubbers and seals all to no avail.. :headhurt:

If you have a CD of the manual you will find there is a reset sequence to set up the correct amount of drop when the door is opened.

It relies on the encoder and door switch to activate so you may find one or both may be faulty.

There has also been several window control module failures on UK models and the same desing is used on the later JDM models.

First check the door switch and the wiring to the module as the connections often work loose and show some corrosion.

The last sentence is "Jinglish" and can only be guessed at anyway ,

from the later version of the manual..

Resetting

After installing each component to the vehicle, follow the steps below.

1. With the door open, lift up and hold the power window switch until the door glass is fully closed.

2. Get inside the vehicle and close the door.

You need to close the door so the door switch is fully depressed.

3. Press and hold the reset switch. While holding the reset switch, press down and hold the power window

switch until the door glass is fully opened.

4. Relese the reset switch.Then, lift up and hold the power window

switch until the door glass is fully closed.

5. Open the door to release the door switch. The door glass should

partially move down.

CAUTION:

Do not use the window auto function.

Do not release the switch before the window is fully

stopped.

Thanks for all the info teddyonholiday , :thumbs:

Just been browsing an American 350Z site and the list of problems that people are having with these electric windows is outstandingly bad ! :angry:

I,d have thought with how long electric windows have been around a Major manufacturer could get the basic design correct on such a simple feature... One Yank went into his dealer and virtually every Z in stock had a problem with the window drop feature on new and used vehicles ! Amazing :surrender:

Most people posting on this site had had a couple of window motors fitted.. Their not cheap either ..but looks if the reset feature doesnt cure mine., a new motor is the only option :headhurt:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, my first post on the forums - shame it's about a fault!

My JDM (2003) is suffering the window auto-drop problem on the drivers door. On further investigation the control unit appears to be the issue and it's getting worse :headhurt: While out of the housing, if I move the unit it causes sporadic window movement, or fails to operate at all when using the switch. The 'door open' contact is OK.

I know the window setup on early JDM cars differs from UK spec (there is no 'reset' switch on the motor, for example), so reluctant to fork out £hundreds to a UK dealer for a new unit that might not work. Does anyone have a source for JDM spares? Happy to take a used part (as long as it works!!!)

Alternatively, control unit itself looks pretty complex, but could attempt repair if anyone has positive experience in this area?

Thanks, Chalky

Great drive, shame about the quality control...

I know the window setup on early JDM cars differs from UK spec (there is no 'reset' switch on the motor, for example), so reluctant to fork out £hundreds to a UK dealer for a new unit that might not work. Does anyone have a source for JDM spares? Happy to take a used part (as long as it works!!!)

cobblers - mine was a 2002 and had a reset switch - it was covered by a circle of thin brown plastic though, needed to be peeled back to reveal the reset switch on the motor

cobblers - mine was a 2002 and had a reset switch - it was covered by a circle of thin brown plastic though, needed to be peeled back to reveal the reset switch on the motor

mine to :thumbs:

I had a problem on my drivers window, it dropped a bit whenever you went over 110. Took it into the dealers and they stripped it and reset the seating of it which has cured it. Fortunately mine is UK and under warranty so don't know how much they would have charged for this, probably not too much of a prob as a DIYer though I'd have thought.

No, seriously, I've had the door panel off and removed the blanking plastic- no switch where there should be one according to the reset procedure notes & diagram. Nothing like consistency... :wacko: In any case, the procedure needs a working window switch! Looks like the controller is the problem.

• 2 years later...

Damn, my car was delivered just yesterday and less than 24 hours later I'm hit with the passenger window fault :rant:

First it didn't work at all, then it came down about halfway but wouldn't close. Thanks to whomever mentioned the technique of banging the door to 'unstick' then motor - that at least made it go back up!

I've phoned the dealer who sold me the car and they said they would fix it under warranty - though I'm not sure how as I live in Essex and they are based in Cardiff.

Damn, my car was delivered just yesterday and less than 24 hours later I'm hit with the passenger window fault :rant:

First it didn't work at all, then it came down about halfway but wouldn't close. Thanks to whomever mentioned the technique of banging the door to 'unstick' then motor - that at least made it go back up!

I've phoned the dealer who sold me the car and they said they would fix it under warranty - though I'm not sure how as I live in Essex and they are based in Cardiff.

Wessex in Cardiff?

Wessex in Cardiff?

No, a garage called Sinclair Direct - who, at this point I can't really fault as they have been really professional. I'll report back on how they handle this incident though.

I'm pretty new to the 350z ..what is Window auto drop? Is it related to when you remote lock the car and the windows automatically close? Am I right in assuming all 350z version (GT and non-GT as well as all JDM) have windows (if currently open) that close automatically when you remote centrally lock the car?

Nope, all 350z's windows drop when you open and shut the door. Its to do with the seal around the door.

If you ever disconnect the battery you should drop the windows an inch or 2 before disconnecting, cause if you open and close the door you could shatter the glass...

Window motors have been known to fail or burn out and is a common fault....