Crazy dials

TomMurphy

So I just bought a 350z with a few problems.

Most of them I know I can sort, but one I can't get my head around is the dials.

On start-up, the oil temp needle flicks up and down, every other needle goes up and sits in the wrong place. The others I can sort, just a case of moving the needles I think.

The other problem is that the rev light is on, and there is no option in the menu for changing the setting.

I've taken the clocks out of my friends 350, and they work fine in mine. So it's definitely the unit itself.

The last guy said he had them apart to change the leds, any ideas?

The rev limiter isn't there. I know you'll think I'm a noob for saying that but there isn't an option.

It's there when I plug my friends in, not on mine!

Second hand gauges are an option but it'll be costly after mileage correction so I'd rather have a go with these first!

The previous owner of mine absolutely FKED (sorry, there's no other way to say it) ALL of the dials in the car. He took them apart, put white dials in but lost the silhouettes and then added bright red led backlighting, it was totally unreadable in the day, and just a mess of bright red light at night, illuminated the whole interior, absolutely insane, not to mention that the dials he bought were wrong and the warning lights were off position, it was a total abortion that defies description.

I had no choice but to replace the main gauge cluster, it's 4 bolts and a plug and that's it, ridiculously easy DIY (bought locally I paid 90 quid and it had less miles than the previous one, bonus, though I would never mislead anyone, I'm not selling this car for many years anyway), and the tri-gauge cluster at the top of the center console. which I got WITH a center console for another 100 quid, so wasn't too bad. changing the upper center console is a bit more involved but still not difficult in any way shape or form, I'll happily share with you the DIY guide I used to do mine. I now also have two gauge sets and a center console to play around with modifying. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

Thanks for the reply, but I'm really hoping to sort these, and learn a bit in the process.

I'm pretty wise to this sort of thing, they're already out the car and apart, the only problems I have are the flicking needle and the rev light now.

If nobody knows what has happened I'll have to buy a new set, but I'd like to avoid it!

The rev limiter isn't there. I know you'll think I'm a noob for saying that but there isn't an option.

It's there when I plug my friends in, not on mine!

Second hand gauges are an option but it'll be costly after mileage correction so I'd rather have a go with these first!

It's not a rev limiter FYI, it's a shift light and AFAIK every 350Z ever made has the shift light so you should have the option to adjust what RPM the light comes on at.

Hope that helps. :thumbs:

Thanks for the reply, but I'm really hoping to sort these, and learn a bit in the process.

I'm pretty wise to this sort of thing, they're already out the car and apart, the only problems I have are the flicking needle and the rev light now.

If nobody knows what has happened I'll have to buy a new set, but I'd like to avoid it!

Great attitude, hat off to you, sir. (what, no :tipwink: smiley? For shame!!)

Not sure about flicking needles on a zed but on skylines it was quite common. The cause was failed connections on the circuit board

Happened on my r33. Resoldering all the connections did the trick

Could yours have a damaged connection?