Idle will not settle

KrisRatcliffe

On start up it seems to idle over 2k for a while then eventually drops to 1200 which is still pretty high. I took it for a drive pulled up at home and it now won't idle any lower than 1500rpm and it seems to bounce up to around 1900rpm. I'm unsure what to do as it has a remap and I don't want to perform any resets with my OBD scanner just in case I lose the remap.

A throttle position reset won't lose the Uprev remap :)

How long ago was it mapped, have you done any work on her recently?

EDIT: FYI I did loads on mine :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser

Typically that sounds like a vacuum leak around the throttle body which is throwing the system off. Which is causing the rev hunting

A throttle position reset won't lose the Uprev remap :)

How long ago was it mapped, have you done any work on her recently?

EDIT: FYI I did loads on mine :thumbs:

I'm confused to why there would be a vacuum leak though it's not been anywhere in 2 months as I've been away travelling. While I was away my dad had to charge the battery as it went flat but that was it. I just ran my OBD 2 scanner and it picked up the code P0603 which I cleared. I've tried that test and it doesn't seem to be doing anything unless I'm doing it incorrectly. It was mapped nearly 3 years ago and I've done nothing else since engine wise.

Things break, clips fail, rubber hoses perish, gasket fall apart.

Sounds like me, I'm getting old though :wheelchair::lol:

Try the throttle resets then - might be due to battery off - also worth checking for leaks - unused cars can often have more problems than used ones!

• Like 2

Things break, clips fail, rubber hoses perish, gasket fall apart.

Sounds like me, I'm getting old though :wheelchair::lol:

Try the throttle resets then - might be due to battery off - also worth checking for leaks - unused cars can often have more problems than used ones!

I've tried the throttle position reset a couple of times which done nothing. I also downloaded the NDSIII app and tried using the Idle Air Volume Learn function which seems to come up with IAVL failed each time. Unless this cold weather has played a part in it, my dad said the battery died and the idle only started playing up after there was a really cold night. As for checking for leaks I wouldn't 100% know if I was looking in all the correct places

Exactly what Ekona said. Typically sitting is pretty harsh on a car. I left my old Honda sat in the garage one year due to salty roads. Went in running spot on and came out running like a cammed V8.

Can I leave my Mini round yours for a year - save all the agro of an engine swap :lol:

@ OP - Main thing is to listen for leaks, whistling or sucking type noises, other than that it could be a failed ECU or throttle body, seen that happen before but only when the TB was moved with the battery disconnected.

Exactly what Ekona said. Typically sitting is pretty harsh on a car. I left my old Honda sat in the garage one year due to salty roads. Went in running spot on and came out running like a cammed V8.

Can I leave my Mini round yours for a year - save all the agro of an engine swap :lol:

@ OP - Main thing is to listen for leaks, whistling or sucking type noises, other than that it could be a failed ECU or throttle body, seen that happen before but only when the TB was moved with the battery disconnected.

It got regularly hand cranked to keep oil circulation good but you know it never reaches full pressure. You should've seen the cloud of smoke when it hit VTEC for the first LOL. Yay for dry pvc valves