Cat advice needed

RickyZ

So the other day I was driving home from work and the exhaust note changed and didn't sound too good.

I took my car to my local garage today and they have advised that the engine is hesitating under load so they have taken a temperature test of the catalytic converters and one has gone.

Bank 2 was too low to be effective and bank 1 was fine. They recommend they should be changed and do both at the same time.

The bad news is that they can only order the parts from Nissan main dealer and they will be over £2k for everything. They also said the lambda sensors may need to be replaced if they can't remove them from the original cats so have included them in the quote.

The parts are -

Near side catalytic converter

Off side catalytic converter

Manifold lambda sensor

Offside rear lambda sensor

Near side rear lambda sensor

Down pipe to catalytic converter gasket

Catalytic converter to centre exhaust gasket

I have always supplied my own parts before so they said if I can source them it'll just be £80 labour to fit.

So what do people think would be best, Oem cats or maybe changing to high flow cats? Can anyone confirm whether I'll need the sensors too? Just want the car back to full health but for the best price.

What's best is to replace the damaged/broken/faulty CAT but it's up to you how you do it.

Is the rest of your exhaust system standard? What's the condition like & do you ever intend to change it for a s/s exhaust system?

As I like modifying my cars I would take this as the perfect excuse to upgrade to some HFC's and possibly do the full exhaust system whilst I was at it. Obviously that would depend though on funds available and whether or not you want to keep the car for a good while or even want to modify it at all.

If you were/are perfectly happy with how it is/was then Dan's suggestion will be by far the cheapest easiest option with zmanalex or Emperor Tuning on here probably being able to help you out with some used OEM Cats. ;)

The sensors may or may not need replacing and I'd probably replace the Cats first so that I could see afterwards what the sensors are doing. E.g. Whether they throw up a fault code.

I have a cobra resonated exhaust at the mo. Just the back though so cats an y pipe are Oem.

I'm thinking of selling next year anyway so don't need to upgrade, just needs to be fixed adequately.

Was just toying up hfc if they are reasonable compared to Oem replacement. I'll pm Alex.