350Z DE Fluid Maintenance

reeceybeaney

Probably been spoken about millions of times but as a new 350z owner at 19year old I'm loooking for some advice in terms of maintenance.

Been looking at engine oil decided to stay with the recommended 5w30 for everyday driving, has anyone used Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-79254-shell-helix-ultra-professional-ag-5w-30-pure-plus-fully-synthetic-engine-oil-dexos2.aspx

Also how often do people change their gearbox/diff oil and what does everyone use?

I am able to do all the work by myself so luckily crazy garage labour rates are out of the question!

Thanks

I think most stick with oem oils for the gearbox and diff oils and also remember to get moly slip for the gearbox too when doing that. Lots of really good engine oils around, and everybody has their own preference but what ever you go with make sure it's fully synthetic you use. Any of the traders on here can advise you and supply you with everything you need.

I have been using shell helix in mine for two years without any issues... I'd grab a litre bottle as well to top up, mine used 750ml over 5k, which I don't think is abnormal (non-uprev)

I used motul gear 300 I think it was called for the diff, really easy with one of those £8 suction oil things (if that makes any sense to you at all).

I spent hours if not days looking through all the threads about which engine oil to use, everyone has different opinions, but generally, as long as it's fully synthetic and the right viscosity grade, you can't go wrong, but the more you spend the better it is.

in the end I went for Fuchs TITAN GT1 PRO FLEX XTL. Got it from Opie, but through their ebay store as it was a bit cheaper.

I did read a couple of bad things about Castrol, Mobil1 and Royal Purple, but these were just opinions, so don't let that put you off too much. Heard nothing but good stuff about Motul and Fuchs (Silkolene) though.

General consensus also seemed to be that you should go for an ester based oil if you don't mind spending a little more for the best. Fuchs Titan Race Pro S seems very highly recommended.

Edited by Strudul

I've seen people seem to rate Fuchs Titan Race Pro S quite highly but the car is not going to be driven hard (all the time) and I think as long as oil changes are done regularly, oil that expensive wouldn't really be necessary!

I might go with the Shell Helix Professional 5w-30 as nobody seems to say a bad word against it and it's well priced.