What TV?

Commander

Unfortunately Samsung no longer produce a EVO OCB (upgrade box/possessor) for the 2016 on sets, they used to do one for the 2014 sets to bring them up to the 2015 spec, but no more, and it was only the top spec sets that had the OCB.

The current 2016 sets only have the connections interface in the OCB, unlike the older ones which also contained the possessor, so it was an easy upgrade, now its just done via software.

Oh on the warranty note, i use Richer Sounds, they have a six year warranty, and where very good when i had problems, even upgraded me to a 2016 set, but it too was faulty, and preferred the 2015 set.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

What's a 'one connect box'?

It's a box that Samsung TV's have. All of the connections and processor etc. are contained within it... the theory being that you can upgrade the box if new features become available which the panel can support but would otherwise not be possible to upgrade if contained within the TV. It remains to be seen if this actually proves to be useful or just a gimmick. I'd suggest the latter.

connect-mini.jpg

Also, don't do what I did and plaster the Samsung cable into the wall without some HDMI's too... as I'll have to dig the cable out and add new connections if I ever get another brand of TV and/or Samsung change the connection cable...

Not a new idea, I bought a Hitachi Pro plasma which was marketed for the same reason, same screen as the in built version but with an external tuner which connected to the display via a bespoke dvi-d cable - all this pre HD days. Panel was 720p capable however it turns out the tuner wasn't and hitachi ditched it in favour of having them built in again.

I vowed never to buy Hitachi again due to this and at that time Hitachi was a leading manufacturer. The 40" plasma was close to £3k at the time too.

Edit: it was a 42" and model was 42PD5300.... still going strong at my mothers actually lol

Edited by Fodder

Lol I remember my mum wouldn't let my dad upgrade the tv until it literally died. We had a 21" tube tv encased in wood and brushed steel with 6 whole buttons including vol up and down. No remote. Still remember the clunk the buttons made when turning over.

We had this until 2001.

• Like 2

Lol I remember my mum wouldn't let my dad upgrade the tv until it literally died. We had a 21" tube tv encased in wood and brushed steel with 6 whole buttons including vol up and down. No remote. Still remember the clunk the buttons made when turning over.

We had this until 2001.

I bought the outgoing TV in 2004/2005 - it has had a good run, if not quite as long as yours did!

Did your Samsung arrive Commander......up and running working ok?

Yeah, all set up no problem at all... good bit of kit and even 1080 content looks much better than it did on my old TV.

That's good to hear. I got a refund on my faulty one and have ordered the curved model from John Lewis instead.